D&D (2024) Am I crazy, or did they just turn Stealth into full Ninja mode?

Shiroiken

Legend
So after a delve into the rules glossary, I was sad that they got rid of the Hidden condition. Instead it makes you invisible, but I don't think they worded it quite right. You gain the Invisibility condition until you make noise, and enemy finds you (using the Search Action), or you attack. The requirement to be out of line of sight is only listed when you take the action, not once your invisible. Thus you could easily take the hide action outside the castle, then walk right past anyone to get inside (unless they both take the Search action and beat your roll). I doubt this was the intent, but by RAW this would be accurate. Just checking to see if I've missed something important or they did...

mellored

Legend
Wouldn’t you still need to pass Stealth checks to avoid being heard if you’re “walk(ing) right past anyone” unseen?
Nope.

On a successful check, you have the Invisible condition...

The condition ends on you immediately after any of the following occurrences: you make a sound louder than a whisper, an enemy finds you, you make an attack roll, or you cast a spell with a verbal component.

As long as your footstep are not as louder than a whisper, the enemy cannot find you because you are invisible.

Obviously this isn't intended for you to walk right in front of someone, but that's how it worded.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And it still has that you can't successfully hide if you can't hit the threshold DC 15 crap. That part still sucks.

mellored

Legend
"The enemy finds you" is the key here. It doesn't specify that a search action is required. If you walk in front of someone it is reasonable that they automatically find you since there is nothing stopping them seeing you. Thus ending the condition.
Being invisible stops them from seeing you.

Concealed. You aren’t affected by any effect that requires its target to be seen.

Remove ads