D&D (2024) Am I crazy, or did they just turn Stealth into full Ninja mode?

MarkB

Legend
One of the main problems with stealth is....its an incredibly "selflish" act timewise. And by that I mean stealth often turns into this 1 on 1 thing between the rogue and the DM. Now for a quick 5 minute thing, no big deal.

However, when you get into the situations where a rogue wants to "scout the camp" or "scout the dungeon", suddenly the rest of the party is twiddling their thumbs while the rogue and the DM have this private adventure. And you can't really blame the rogue. When the rest of the party has terrible stealth, you don't want to bring them along. And when that kind of scouting can be so incredibly useful, it makes sense to do it.

So part of the desire to regulate it frankly is to prevent those kind of moments from becoming the "rogue show".
Yeah, if you're going to do something that time-consuming, I'd just boil it down to a single skill check. No set DC, the result just determines what quality of information you got before you had to pull out, and if you rolled really low (single digits at best) you took some damage on your way out and the base is now on higher alert.

Then just let the party as a whole enquire about the details of the base, and provide them with the appropriate level of detail.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Rather than make a new thread, I've revived this one. I noticed the Invisible Ninja remain in the April playtest packet. Perhaps this is not a mistake and it was left off the survey deliberately.
I think they have nerfed it a bit
INVISIBLE [CONDITION] While Invisible, you experience the following effects: Concealed. You aren’t affected by any effect that requires its target to be seen. Surprise. If you are Invisible when you roll Initiative, you have Advantage on the roll. Attacks Affected. Attack rolls against you have Disadvantage, and your attack rolls have Advantage. If a creature can somehow see you, as with magic or Blindsight, you don’t gain this benefit against that creature.
The bolded bit could do with a bit more qualification but it gives a DM a lot of leeway on the subject of who can see you.

Remove ads