D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I just think that had Mercer not existed and Mearls had written this setting exactly as is, people would not only not be complaining, they'd be praising WotC for making a fresh setting for a change.
Maybe, but I think there would have been some complaining. Mostly because if the new continent is a lot like Tal'Dorei, there just isn't a whole lot to it. It feels like a setting built around one particular group doing one particular storyline.

Granted, that's something I wholeheartedly support at the individual game level, but not something I'm really interested in purchasing. Settings are the one place where I embrace my inner simulationist. :)

a.everett1287

Explorer
If Mercer didn't exist, I think Mearls would have worked on a 5e Greyhawk.
This strikes me as a very wrong-headed theory that only a person with a passing knowledge of how creative industries work, and more importantly a specious understanding of this instance we are currently discussing, would engage in.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Maybe, but I think there would have been some complaining. Mostly because if the new continent is a lot like Tal'Dorei, there just isn't a whole lot to it. It feels like a setting built around one particular group doing one particular storyline.

Granted, that's something I wholeheartedly support at the individual game level, but not something I'm really interested in purchasing. Settings are the one place where I embrace my inner simulationist. :)
For sure there would have been SOME complaining. Nothing is complain proof. "Why did they make a new setting instead of giving us Spelljammer?" and the like. It wouldn't have been to the level that it has been, though, and a lot more support would have been posted.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, how are you going to do that without pissing off some GH fans? Some want it rebooted to the original boxed set. Some people like the Carl Sergeant era. Some like the Adventure Begins/Living Greyhawk Gazzetter era. Some want all the Living Greyhawk changes to become official. Some want the Paizohawk stuff to be official.

Probably go back to the original. It doesn't invalidate anything that came after it.

I would do this for any TSR setting come to think of it.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
HA HA! Of course it has an effect.

5e Greyhawk will be released. It will sell well, but REAL Greyhawk players will complain that WoTC has ruined the setting and is probably cooking the sales statistics, since none of the people they know at the Retirement Community is playing it.

Meanwhile, people will be clamoring for the lamented, never-released Mearls-cut of Greyhawk.
I'm mad that the new Greyhawk ignored so many of the fun but controversial changes from the last Greyhawk, and totally minimized the important role of Tenser.

werecorpse

Adventurer
There is a bunch of material for pre 5e gamers but atm it appears they are seeking to widen the net or scoop up & cater to people who may be on the fringe of D&D. That stuff probably isn’t targeting the pre 2014 gamer.

Interestingly chaosium who publish runequest, Pendragon and call of Cthulhu do seem to target older players selling high cost supplements strongly reproducing old stuff to seemingly cater to those 45years+.

Let me add my voice to those directing you to the DMs guild Monster Manual expanded amongst other 3PP material. It’s excellent and I hope it is eventually made print on demand in which case I will get one.

Remove ads