D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

3catcircus

Adventurer
My point is more that there’s still a boss calling the shots. The designers at a private company can still be told they’re cutting back on their publication schedule and the ones who kept their jobs would say “okay boss”.

Yes, but the chain from designer to boss is much shorter - a lot easier to convince your boss when he is doing the same work you do than at a large company where the chain can be 7 or 8 layers deep, across multiple departments or divisions.

Sadras

Legend
Well, Dark Sun was brought back for 4e (so nearly 10 years ago now) and seemed relatively popular.

But that would be one reason for not doing it yet again - I don't know if the 4e stuff is readily available on DM's Guild but even if not must be pretty easily obtainable by anyone who wants it.

I guess that is applicable for 4e players, not so much for those playing 5e.

We have to remember WotC produces Magic: the Gathering, with team to create more lore and playtesting the new game mechanics. Even they have produced cinematic videos to introduce the last expansions.

If they don't publish more book... is it because they are working yet in the pre-production phase?

Oofta

Legend
If being a small company and producing a lot of product were the secret to success for a TTRPG company, TSR would still be in business. I've worked for large companies and small, it's had very little to do with my productivity. A smaller company often has lower overhead, there are simply too many factors to count.

Some companies are run well, others are run into the ground. Some companies have great direction and management, others have a shotgun approach and management who have no clue.

All I can say is that D&D 5E is arguably the most popular version ever and, while no product grows forever, given the amount of time this release has been out the future looks brighter than it has for decades. That's a good thing, even if they still haven't come out with the My Little Pony D&D version that would sell like hot cakes. ;)

jasper

Rotten DM
HOLY EGO BAT-MITE! You think you’re the primary target audience. You never were. From 1E D&D has supported many play styles and collectors. You seem to like PC options and are lukewarm about monster manuals. And since you own your campaign book of Wilderlands of High Fantasy (I think I own it), you have NO NEED of other campaign books.

Repeat after me.

D&D support many playstyles. I do not have to support any playstyles I don’t like.

D&D will put out many books, some which I will not like. I will not buy books I don’t like.

D&D will put out campaign books I don’t like. I will buy the book and ship to Jasper. Or just send Jasper the cash.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Quality how? Quality content? Quality workmanship in the physical production? Quality workmanship is easy to define. Quality content is subjective. Well-written words for rotten content doesn't make the content any better. Well written words for rotten content doesn't sell more product. Great content that is poorly-written still sells product.
3cat, this is Hollywood. Hollywood, 3cat. I'll let you two catch up.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I know there were plenty of people who didn't like 4e and felt affronted by its existence, but I don't think old players is the right description.
One of many things I liked about 4e was it fulfilled on promises made by 1e and 2e, providing a defender able to defend his allies and an intelligent/clever tactical strategist one able to do more than lip service the attributes.

Out of the box... 5e rescinded both of those and brought back not better than a door stop.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well, Dark Sun was brought back for 4e (so nearly 10 years ago now) and seemed relatively popular.

But that would be one reason for not doing it yet again - I don't know if the 4e stuff is readily available on DM's Guild but even if not must be pretty easily obtainable by anyone who wants it.
True, but they just re-did Eberron 10 years after its 4E release, which was only 6 years after its 3E release. I'm not saying that won't impact any future release, but WotC's internal considerations as to the viability of the IP is (obviously) far more determinative. I'd expect to see Eberron Vol. 2 well before I saw a guide to Birthright, just as an example.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
All I can say is that D&D 5E is arguably the most popular version ever and, while no product grows forever, given the amount of time this release has been out the future looks brighter than it has for decades. That's a good thing, even if they still haven't come out with the My Little Pony D&D version that would sell like hot cakes. ;)
Allow me to introduce: The My Little Pony RPG
NJD440301_grande.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases