D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm reading about Mercer's new campaign sourcebook coming out from WoTC, and I've decided that I'm no longer WoTC's target audience. Maybe that puts me in the minority of gamers, and I would imagine that WoTC knows exactly what they're doing with some of the books and supplements they've come out with recently.

I've been gaming since high school, like many people here, and high school for me was around the late 80s. So, that puts me starting with 1st as a player, GM'ing 2nd edition, and then moving (gladly!) into 3rd, skipping 4th, and absolutely loving 5th. I make my own campaigns, so campaign modules are not of interest to me. I'm also a huge fan of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. It's literally more campaign world than I could ever possibly use, so I don't need any more. I loved Xanathar's Guide, and I LOVED Volo's guide. One of the best books WoTC's ever created. I was lukewarm on Mordenkainen's, since many of the monsters I'd never use (and really, who needs a dozen demon lords, anyway?).

But I keeping seeing things like Acquisitions Incorporated, and a Rick and Morty module, and I can't help but think those are probably popular products - for someone... but not for me. I've no interest in that stuff. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting a follow-up to Volo's so I can snatch that, maybe a Monster Manual II, or something that gives me a ton more magical items that I can use, or something else that will add value to my game. I'd even settle for a version of Tales of the Yawning Portal that didn't actually suck (I wanted to like it, I really did, I just couldn't).

Am I alone?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You definitely aren't alone in feeling this way.

But it's a mistake to think that 3 products not being meant for you means that WotC is no longer targeting towards you. Because they've made over two dozen products, most of which it seems you like.

My favorite band once put out a bad album. That doesn't mean I don't like that band anymore.

I'm reading about Mercer's new campaign sourcebook coming out from WoTC, and I've decided that I'm no longer WoTC's target audience. Maybe that puts me in the minority of gamers, and I would imagine that WoTC knows exactly what they're doing with some of the books and supplements they've come out with recently.

I've been gaming since high school, like many people here, and high school for me was around the late 80s. So, that puts me starting with 1st as a player, GM'ing 2nd edition, and then moving (gladly!) into 3rd, skipping 4th, and absolutely loving 5th. I make my own campaigns, so campaign modules are not of interest to me. I'm also a huge fan of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. It's literally more campaign world than I could ever possibly use, so I don't need any more. I loved Xanathar's Guide, and I LOVED Volo's guide. One of the best books WoTC's ever created. I was lukewarm on Mordenkainen's, since many of the monsters I'd never use (and really, who needs a dozen demon lords, anyway?).

But I keeping seeing things like Acquisitions Incorporated, and a Rick and Morty module, and I can't help but think those are probably popular products - for someone... but not for me. I've no interest in that stuff. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting a follow-up to Volo's so I can snatch that, maybe a Monster Manual II, or something that gives me a ton more magical items that I can use, or something else that will add value to my game. I'd even settle for a version of Tales of the Yawning Portal that didn't actually suck (I wanted to like it, I really did, I just couldn't).

Am I alone?
That is okay. You should not feel obligated to like everything Wizards puts out. Everyone has different likes and preferences.

Similarly Wizards has no obligation to put out things catering to only the few.

Also patience is key.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You're loving 5th edition, so clearly you are a part of WotC's target market. But their target market isn't just you. It also includes people who like things like Critical Role, Penny Arcade, Rick and Morty, and Stranger Things. If the products aimed at those segments of the market don't appeal to you... what can I say but THIS IS NOTHING NEW! There have ALWAYS been D&D products that not everyone is interested in. There always will be.

FireLance

Legend
I kind of feel the same way, but I don't blame WotC. They are just responding to demand or perceived demand, after all.

My favorite edition was 4E, so I've been through the feelings of dissonance and disassociation that a significant number of gamers want to buy stuff that I don't want, and don't want to buy stuff that I do want before. I've made peace with that, and I just buy the stuff from WotC that I'm interested in, and increase the probability that WotC will make a similar product by a fraction.

In the meantime, I can come up with my own stuff.

Now the strategy is getting a new generation of players. You, the veteran group, aren't forgotten, but today to publish new things starting from zero is easier than remake and continuing old settings. I could bet there are plans for Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Dragonlance, but they need time and learning by trial and error. If you miss the old titles you have got the DM Guild, and now lot of 3PPs are creating new ideas with total freedom. And some fans are publishing free update version of old franchises.

And old settings need a lot of work about the background to can add last ideas from last editions (PC races and classes).

You have the core rulebooks? You don't need anything else to play D&D.

As for WotC, it makes better business sense for them to focus on attracting new players, who then go and buy the core rulebooks. Parent company Hasbro are still selling toys and games that have remained relatively unchanged since the 1950s.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases