D&D 5E Am I no longer WoTC's target audience?

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Well it's probably the best adventure I've ever played through. And I've been playing since 1978. My experience is apparently not alone, as it's the most highly rated adventure, and rated that way by people who have played it.

Good. Glad you and everyone else enjoyed it. It just rubbed me the wrong way due to my own peculiarities, which is one of the many reasons I'm not part of WotC's target audience anymore. (But then, my relationship to D&D has always been ... idiosyncratic, not being a real fan of 1E/OSR, 3E/Patfhinder, or 5E.)

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
So ... you appreciate D&D editions like original cast Star Trek movies ... only the even ones?

It has more or less turned out that way. :) Given the swings of the editions and WotC's general relation to the game's history, I've been predicting that 6E will be my dream game but will be designed, announced, and then cancelled before release as being 'a betrayal of the game's legacy,' and 7E will be 1E with the demons, devils and Evil PCs turned up to 11. :D

JeffB

Legend
That's what I feel like. Everything WotC has published feels over the top. Too much magic. Too many monsters. Too many hit points. I want something dirtier. Small, down to earth. I want to see "what if" adventures. What is a famine hit the FR and turned everyone against each other? What if an evil god died its vile soul leaked out into a city? What if all magic suddenly stopped working? What if good turned on good, and evil against evil? I want exploration - not only of monsters, but ideas. What if a city was teleported to another plane of existence? How would civilization react? How would civilization survive? What can the PCs do to change the fate of their friends and family caught the forces of nature?

Excellent ideas. Now you just need to make a cartoon out of it with some well known voice actors to get WOTC to notice.

;)

You're either trying to be funny or you truly don't understand that ad hominems are the plural of ad hominem using standard English. Tell me you know the difference between similar and plural... Or would you prefer for me to have used "argumenta ad hominem" instead of standard English pluralization of a Latin loan-phrase?

Either way, every time I provide a rebuttal as to why I consider some products to not "be tha best evar," I don't get cogent responses picking apart my argument.
The plural of ad hominem, in the context you used it, is ad hominem. But only pretentious fools try to win arguments by quoting Latin (also see: Boris Johnson).

QED

5atbu

Explorer
May I suggest you pick up your DMG and choose the gritty dark options? Choose your big doom, and run it?

Or if that's too kitbashing then pick up WHFRP 4e or Shadow of the Demon Lord, which are exactly what you want.

SotDL is closest to D&D if that helps.

dave2008

Legend
What if a city was teleported to another plane of existence? How would civilization react? How would civilization survive? What can the PCs do to change the fate of their friends and family caught the forces of nature?
Wait - didn't that just happen in Descent into Avernus?!

Regardless, great ideas in general, but I think you will have to go for 3PP for those type of things.

Oofta

Legend
So let's say I'd like jalapeno flavored mountain dew. Is it Pepsi's fault that I am not their "target customer"?

Because a lot of this thread seems to be about some setting that was last published decades ago or that would otherwise be a very niche product.

Remove ads