• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazing returning Skeleton?

myradale

First Post
All right, I've got a quick question here about the spell animate dead.
Yup, plain old boring 3rd level animate dead.
If my 5th level Cleric of super-evil-bad has both desecrate and animate dead, and happens to come across a recently deceased Cloud Giant, he can animate it as a skeleton (19hd) and have it as his willing servent indefinately. Pretty easy way to get a tough minion, I figure.

Now, he goes up against Mr goody-goody, and his poor skeleton gets his bones rocked. Poor skeleton, dead again. Can my cleric animate the same corpse again as long as he has another 475gp black onyx on him? Or does the skeleton sustain so much damage as to be made useless?

Bad Paper

First Post
myradale said:
Now, he goes up against Mr goody-goody, and his poor skeleton gets his bones rocked. Poor skeleton, dead again. Can my cleric animate the same corpse again as long as he has another 475gp black onyx on him? Or does the skeleton sustain so much damage as to be made useless?

no. The bones are destroyed into splinters and whatnot when it is destroyed. Can't animate again.

Scharlata

First Post
Bad Paper said:
no. The bones are destroyed into splinters and whatnot when it is destroyed. Can't animate again.

Yupp!

See the spell entry for Animate Dead (PHB, p. 199): "(A destroyed skeleton or zombie can't be animated again.)".

Added: 5th-level clerics can only animate 10 HD of undead with a single casting of animate dead. So the cloud giant skeleton option would be off limits, I guess.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

werk

First Post
myradale said:
All right, I've got a quick question here about the spell animate dead.
Yup, plain old boring 3rd level animate dead.
If my 5th level Cleric of super-evil-bad has both desecrate and animate dead, and happens to come across a recently deceased Cloud Giant, he can animate it as a skeleton (19hd) and have it as his willing servent indefinately. Pretty easy way to get a tough minion, I figure.

Why not 20HD?

Shin Okada

Explorer
griff_goodbeard said:
IIRC though there's a sixth level spell in Libris Mortis that let's you do this. Can't remember the name of it though.

Revive Undead. The undead monster will lose a HD. But it is still much better than to find another big corpse or skeleton. And much cheaper than to animate another one.

Remove ads