• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AMG's Art Every Day He's Not Lazy Thread

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
No promises, but I may try. I've still got to kick myself to finish fixing and/or completely redoing the Aasimar for kirinke. But I shall try for you, too, just don't expect any kind of timley manner as I seem to be absolutely horrible with sticking to one thing. I jump around a lot...
I understand. Take your time, I'm in no rush.

Okay, this one isn't finished. In fact, its no where near finished. It is, yet again(see, I told you I can't stop sketching her), Liz Mare. Lots of things to touch up, such as finishing the 'belt', some minor details to the flightsuit(boot needs some detail above it, the white thing that goes under the orange isn't going up around her shoulder correctly on the left arm, etc), going to toy with the blaster's shape, and her off hand is going to be holding her helmet. And, not only that, but I'm going to put her wingmate in there, too, and maybe even a background to prove to myself that I can draw more than people in blank spaces.

But I felt obligated to post something. I'm not updating this thread as much as I should, though I am still sketching a bunch. Frukathka, I'll try out your character sometime soon, but currently even this one I'm posting is going on hold. One sketch idea is just tearing me apart. I want to draw Anakin burning on Mustafar...somewhat gory, but its just an image that's really struck me and I have GOT to draw it. Only problem is...it sure as hell ain't easy. I want detail, and I want to make it look right. Its...ugh. Its rough. But I will have something eventually, and hopefully will be able to work on other things while this one's still pounding at the back of my head.

Attachments

• Mare Blaster sketch.jpg
    Mare Blaster sketch.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 117

Ugh. I've hit one of those blocks that prevents anything I put onto paper from looking like it is meant to look. I've done about forty or so sketches since the last update, but none of them have gotten anywhere as I can't get them to...well...work. Ugh. I'm going to keep pushing through it, maybe something will appear.

More to update that I'm not dead and that, in fact, I've been trying. Last attempt was actually for Frukathka's request. Almost nailed that one...will probably try again later tonight.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Maybe you're trying to force it too much? I like to doodle whenever I get drawn-out.

Acquana

First Post
A good exercise to do when you find yourself laboring too much over artwork is to do sketches, but spend no more than five minutes on each. Focus only on basic form and attempt to get forms down in less and less time.

And I will say, your human figures are getting better all the time, but your fabric really needs work. Take more from reference is all I can say about that.

Jdvn1 said:
Maybe you're trying to force it too much? I like to doodle whenever I get drawn-out.

I know I'm trying to force it...trying to get past that. Sometimes I think about scanning my Art History notes. Those pages are littered with little doodles(well, usually eyes and half faces, to be honest) so much that I actually remember artist's names and details like that by what I've sketched next to them.

Acquana said:
A good exercise to do when you find yourself laboring too much over artwork is to do sketches, but spend no more than five minutes on each. Focus only on basic form and attempt to get forms down in less and less time.

I may try that tonight. Usually I can just draw through a stage like this, but I'm definitely ready for other methods. :)

And I will say, your human figures are getting better all the time, but your fabric really needs work. Take more from reference is all I can say about that.

Thanks, and you're definitely right. The clothes I draw haven't really changed all that much in the last...well...as long as I can remember, really. I've learned a few new things, and put them to use some, but definitely not enough. It all looks way too flat and anime-like, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for that style, but I've really moved away from that over the years with figures and faces while still leaving the clothes the same. Now I have a goal. Thank you. :cool:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I know I'm trying to force it...trying to get past that. Sometimes I think about scanning my Art History notes.
Try not thinking about scanning or about the thread? It seems like you're trying to draw or update out of obligation, which doesn't seem like it should be the point of a hobby like this.

Jdvn1 said:
Try not thinking about scanning or about the thread? It seems like you're trying to draw or update out of obligation, which doesn't seem like it should be the point of a hobby like this.
Well, I am trying to get myself trained to work through these constant blocks I always run myself into. I do have a slightly distant(at this point, anyway) goal of actually trying to do something with my art. And, heck, in the short term I'll be at an art school starting next year and the "I didn't feel like drawing" excuse won't fly there.

Its not that I don't ENJOY it. Heck, the big reason I push myself is that I know I can do it and I enjoy every second of it...just have to get through these rough patches. :)

Alright. Something has FINALLY come off the pencil looking worthwhile. Maybe this is the start of another upswing.

Hopefully.

Sketching a bunch has seemed to help, at least. :)

Nothing special this time. Just a basic, run of the mill Snowtrooper. Always loved the style of their 'helmet' and even though the chest armor came out looking a bit funky, I love how the faceplate worked.

Attachments

• Snowtrooper(lineart).jpg
    Snowtrooper(lineart).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 204

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Nothing special this time. Just a basic, run of the mill Snowtrooper. Always loved the style of their 'helmet' and even though the chest armor came out looking a bit funky, I love how the faceplate worked.
Looks great!

Remove ads