• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Absolutely Superb Day, a Wargame, and a new Whiteboard

Jack7

First Post
I had to go into town today to pay some bills and taxes. While out the sky was clear and the weather warm and bright. (Yesterday, even though it was overcast I went outside and maintenanced the cars without a shirt on, and was perfectly comfortable doing it, so warm was the weather - and if this is Winter then much, much more of this please.)

The city was pleasant and traffic was pretty good except at the government offices. I hate government offices anyway. While there I thought about going over to see some friends at the Law Enforcement Center and the Courts, but thought since it was Friday they'd likely be swamped and ready to bug out as soon as possible anyway, so instead I just stuck to my primary business. I wanted to look up something on a cold case I'm investigating but was having so much fun listening to books on CD I put that off for now too. Driving around I listened to two lectures on the World History of Espionage (which included some great comments on game theory and espionage), one disc on a new biography of Tesla (Wizard), a disc of Fire in the East (I really leek that book), and part of a book by Joe Vitale. I had to be out a long time today so this was an extremely enjoyable time to catch up on my reading while driving.

After completing my business I swung by the comic book store. The fellow who used to own it recently sold out and I really like the new owner. He's converted his joint from being basically a comic book store and fantasy gaming shop to a comic book store and wargaming shop. I watched a few fellows playing "The Flames of War" and really enjoyed that. It's a WWII wargame and I got invited to a game on the weekends. I haven't played miniature WWII wargames in years and years and I have to say I really got an itch to do it while watching. He also had a lot of vintage old games, including fantasy games and role play, even an old Traveller book. It was like going back in time. It reminded me of my youth and gave me the same feeling I used to get when I went and hung out at the Rescue Squad my great uncle ran. Very nice. Nice shop too.

One the way home I also got a Whiteboard. Last weekend I was watching the Big Bang Theory. At first I couldn't stand that show but my family watched it a lot and over time it grew on me. While watching it I noticed the main characters use of a lot of whiteboards. I used to use whiteboards all the time in high school and college, but after that fell away from the practice. But while watching the show I realized that I missed by old whiteboards. Yeah, most of the time I prefer paper and notebooks, and sometimes depending on what I'm doing and working on, far more advanced technologies. But thinking back on my younger days I realized I used to employ them a lot to make temporary drawings and sketches, to develop illustrations and diagrams, to note out scientific theories, make initial engineering drawings, develop math formulae, sketch out organizational charts, make cell diagrams for cases, etc. Even do basic game and plot sketches.

So I thought to myself, "yeah, I miss that and they're good tools," and then got one and put it in my bedroom. I keep a notebook by my bedside table in case I wake up at night with an idea, or can't sleep and wanna work in bed. And often I make notes and basic sketches for invention ideas while in bed. But usually my first drawings for an invention are displeasing to me or not properly developed. So usually, and in cases like that, I have to go downstairs to the office and either work at my drawing table or fire up the computer and work there. But with the whiteboard now all I have to do is walk to the other side of the bedroom and start making sketches, and I can easily erase them if they displease me, and resketch them as needed. Plus, just the thought of the large colorful, visual image is good for my working style. But rather than working in my sketch notebooks I can modify things as I wish until I get what I want. And I got several different types and colors of markers so that I can color code my work, or grid what I need. when I'm finished I just lay back down and sleep til morning, then transfer my work from the night before to a more permanent medium, clear the board, and it's clean for my next project.

Now my bedroom has three workboards, including my new whiteboard, my biological, chemical, and scientific calculator, my bedroom sketchbook, my bedroom stereo and CD player, some of my machines, and an easel.

I'm also gonna get a whiteboard for my downstairs office which, in addition to the board, will give me my computer and work-station, most of my hard files, the bookshelf with the books and notebooks I've written, my art portfolio and sketchbooks, my working note and compositor books, some of my computer files, my scanners and communications equipment, my drawing table, my business files, my easel and canvass for my paintings, my recording equipment, my engineering calculator, and my other assorted office equipment and devices. This means two of my four home workstations are now completely equipped as I desire.

Today was just a really superb and relaxing day. Fun, enjoyable, diverting, and still very productive. Ever had a day like that? So utterly pleasant. Felt very good to be alive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads