An actual Chick tract was left on my door

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Some were pretty sad, like the kid getting beaten, living in a box in an alley, then dies, but its ok because he goes to heaven. Ones like that really stuck in my head over all the others.

Another place chick tracts show up is in the film "Decline and Fall of Western Civilization" where Exene Cervenka of X has a collection.

aramis erak

Legend
Excellent point sir--I have changed it to be conservative evangelical Christians (since I think this is the correct theological description?)

I've heard quite a few former military are into D&D--when you're on base at peacetime, there's a lot of dead time to kill.
The same people who hate of D&D are often parts of obscure sects or the more extreme groups.

I know a few kids 6 years ago who kept their gaming stuff at school, since if their parents found it, they't get beaten. (OCS had anopen investigation already.) I've seen parents get upset about kids having access to Monopoly, Risk, Sorry, and Stratego during indoor recess. As of 6 years ago, Pokémon and MTG were both officially banned in the entire Anchorage School District... but most middle and high schools didn't enforce it. RPGs, however, weren't.

I've several friends raised in the Jehova's Witness... and they keep their gaming somewhat hidden from their still actively JW families. Not so much a "Don't let them know" as "don't shove it in their face." One cluster is openly pagan (Asatru, to be more accurate), and the other is still nominally Christian.

I've been told by OSU and UAA students that the various small towns they are from still consider burning D&D books stolen from gamers a public service. Those are, consistently, small-town parts of Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, & Alabama... and those towns are pretty retrogressive in many other ways, too.

So, yes, there is current ongoing persecution. It's not much in cities, especially not ones with Universities... and it's low key.

There are still Christian Sects teaching that all games are sinful. And some muslim sects. I had to deal with one such as a teacher... the parent demanded that games not be present in the classroom. Principal said he could have his son removed and sent to a school where math games aren't part of the curriculum... and recommended a Catholic school. (And Mr. K was wrong ... I knew the math teacher; math games were used there, too.)

Some Christian and Muslim fundamentalists and/or literalists who don't see games as a problem do see RPGs as one; these groups also tend to see acting as a sin, as it's, in there eyes, violating the commandment "Thou shalt not lie". RPGs are acting, and thus...

The most recent book-burning I've heard of targeting D&D was in 2012... by an "Independent Baptist" (one not affiliated with any formal association of Baptist Churches.)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
When I first moved here to Colorado Springs, some of those found their way under my apartment door, as well (specifically Dark Dungeons, after I started wearing D&D apparel out and about).

aramis erak

Legend
I guess we should explain to the non-Americans that the USA has a huge diversity of churches competing for followers?
there are a half-dozen various groups self-identifying as "Baptists" - the most visible being the "Southern Baptist Conference" - and the book burning Baptist in question has been kicked out of at least half of them... (Including the SBC.)
He's an extremist.
Most of those still hating on games are extremists. But they do tend to be politically active, too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
there are a half-dozen various groups self-identifying as "Baptists" - the most visible being the "Southern Baptist Conference" - and the book burning Baptist in question has been kicked out of at least half of them... (Including the SBC.)
He's an extremist.
Most of those still hating on games are extremists. But they do tend to be politically active, too.
Extremists tend to care about things.

Oh yeah, that guy is such a grifter, much like Mike Warnke.

He was pretty tight with william "bill" schnoebelen, former 36th level mason-wiccan-high-priest-werewolf-vampire. You wanna know why the magickal rituals in the ad&d PHB were so accurate? They consulted mr. Schnoebelen, that's why. He also authored this amazing article:

One of the three people I know that have been playing D&D the longest used to be a chaplain in the military. Last I heard he was playing a half-orc barbarian named Grimace.

My personal experience is that many, if not most, younger Catholic priests have had extensive positive experience with D&D. The literally most staunchly "conservative" priest that I know (former Marine, Latin Mass advocate, etc.) also has the largest AD&D collection I've personally ever seen. The latest D&D book was written by a Christian cleric, for that matter.

So "Christians" as such aren't in conflict with D&D, certain subcultures notwithstanding.

Remove ads