An "appropriate" system for LOTR?

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
The thing to realize about Gandalf is that he isn't a Magic User (the old class) or Wizard/Sorceror. He's a bard.

If you look at the spells that he casts, and his general behavior, he fits the archetype for a scholar type bard almost exactly.

He spends the majority of his time performing for groups of people (most notably the hobbits, who he also likes to study).

[humor] He also exhibits one of the other major signs of being a bard in his pursuit of a same sex relationship with Bilbo and later Frodo. [/humor]

You also need to remember that Wizard was a race in Middle Earth (most likely a level adjusted one that gave a few spell like abilities like speak with animals.)

johnsemlak

First Post
BTW, how exactly does Decipher handle the Wizards/Istari in the LotR RPG? Are they a separate Race, or some sort of class (I know it's a different RPG, but I believe it has some close equivelent of classes)?

kengar

First Post
johnsemlak said:
BTW, how exactly does Decipher handle the Wizards/Istari in the LotR RPG? Are they a separate Race, or some sort of class (I know it's a different RPG, but I believe it has some close equivelent of classes)?

There is no such thing as an Istari PC in the Decipher game (they are, after all, essentially archangels). There are a couple spellcasting orders (classes); Loremasters, Magicians & Wizards. Elves also have some magical abilties, but that isn't necessarily their focus. The idea is that there are mortal spellcasters in Middle Earth who may have worked with or been trained by people like Saruman and Gandalf, but are not their equals. Loremasters are mostly sages with a few spells ("hedge" magicians), magicians are your basic spellcaster and wizards are essentially a prestige class.

Last edited:

Jeph

Explorer
Someone already said it, but it must be reiterated:

The Riddle of Steel

Hell, even the quickstart version of the rules (available for free download off Driftwood Publishing's site) is awesome for running Lord of the Rings. Excellent gritty combat tone. Awesome sorcery. (In fact, the Quickstart sorcery is a bit better for LotR, and needs fewer modifications.) Spiritual Attributes are amazing in their execution and how they change play, and perfect for the themes of Middle Earth.

You can check out a Midnight (which is basically LotR anyway) TROS game in Paka's Story Hour.

Driftwood Publishing can be found here.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I played in a con event where Mike Mearls ran a LotR-based session using Feng Shui rules. It was one of the most fun sessions of an RPG I've ever played.

Of course, we were all dwarvs so that made it easier - coming back from an exploratory excursion deep in Khazad-dhuum to find that Balin and the rest of our people had been overrun by orcs - It was great to know that no matter what we did in that game we were all gonna die eventually. :D

KenM

Banned
Banned
My girlfriend really liked the movies. Is the Decipher RPG a good system for someone that never played an RPG before? I'm thinking o getting it to introduce her to RPG's. She seems very interested since the movies.

Xeriar

First Post
KenM said:
My girlfriend really liked the movies. Is the Decipher RPG a good system for someone that never played an RPG before? I'm thinking o getting it to introduce her to RPG's. She seems very interested since the movies.

The system is simple (simpler than d20), but the book's layout, while beautiful, is very convoluted, as no one page or even chapter covers character creation in its entirety.

This is highly annoying.

There are people that have corrected this issue on the web, but I've only heard about it and don't know where to look exactly.

Decipher's system like many systems rolls combat and even saves (IIRC) into their own skills, as well as being more lethal than D&D in general. The system also focuses rather nicely on the number of languages in the setting - which IMO is rather neat.

whatisitgoodfor said:
The thing to realize about Gandalf is that he isn't a Magic User (the old class) or Wizard/Sorceror. He's a bard.

If you look at the spells that he casts, and his general behavior, he fits the archetype for a scholar type bard almost exactly.

You also need to remember that Wizard was a race in Middle Earth (most likely a level adjusted one that gave a few spell like abilities like speak with animals.)

Well, coming from the lore side of things, the "magic" of the "Wizards" (which according to Tolkien is a word decending from "Istari") is divine in nature.

They are envoys of the Valar (closest thing to gods in ME) and their powers reflect that. Radagast the brown certainly came from a Valar of Nature, Saruman from on of the most powerful and Gandalf originally was the least important and least powerful.

So the Wizards (Istari) can be portrayed pretty good with D20 Classes that feature divine Magic. Druids (Radagast) Clerics ("You shall not pass" = "Forbiddance"?) or Disciples.
And for Gandalf the White, I'd certainly use a handfull of levels as Paladin (instead of a Bard) (His loyal steed Shadowfax, divine white Aura, inspires courage in his friends and other people, utter fearless, wielder of holy light, lots of charisma, cures madness and disease, etc.., etc.. you name it)

Also, while the 5 Istari are certainly a breed of their own, send from the celestial shores of the West (Aasimar, half-celestials?) there are other magic-users in ME too.

Elfs for one wield alot of magic (again divine, there is no "arcane" in the classical sense in ME) due to their close bonds with the Valar. (Lembas, Glowing Swords, The "Summoning of the River" as was done by Elrond (Book) / Arwen (Movie).

Sauron chooses a Sorcerer (synonymus with evil in ME) to lead his Armies at the Morannon ("the black Gate" - this character didn't appear in the Movie) and the Rings (besides the "One") were, after all created by men, elves and dwarfs.

So magic besides the 5 Istari, while rare, is certainly possible and doesn't require a seperate race.

KenM said:

The System is fine if your into the movies and books, and just want to roleplay in Middle Earth.

It is on the other hand easy to abuse if your just out to create a perfect killing maschine of a character, it sort of assumes that your mature enough to keep within the "flavor" of the books/movies and includes no restraints or barriers that would stop you from totally destroying that flavor if you'd choose to.

johnsemlak said:

Again, while the five Istari might or might not be the mightiest Wizards (=Men of Wisdom) on ME, they are not the only ones.

Given that the Istari swore an Oath to aid mankind with council and wisdom instead of nifty powers (cause Power corrupts ya know.. Sauron is nothing but a fallen Maia of Aule and therefore a distant cousin of Saruman, Gandalf, etc.. if you so like) some non-Istari magic users might actually outdo them in a standup in their own domain (anyone doubting Galadriels magical might?).

Magic is, however tied very strongly to a magic users domain or lair (for the evil guys). So Arwen/Elrond might summon the river in or near Elronds house, they probably couldn't do it in Gondor. Same for Galadriels Wood or Sarumans (or Saurons, as we're at it) Tower.

The Decipher Game translates the magic users dependance on a fixed local with the Domain abilitiy, making traveling (adventuring) a very strange and dangerous pasttime for aspiring Wizards. (i.e., most keep to their towers)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases