D&D 5E An Argument for Why Paladins are the Strongest Class in 5E D&D

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Imo the issue is how much better than other classes in their niche are they.

Imo a lot.

When 3e came out they had a strong lobby group, same as 5e

In that "single target melee Nova" niche they can't be beat. The Big Paladin lobbied hard to make Paladins the Kings of SMITE!.

They and the Bard lobby got their money's worth.

I wish the Ranger lobby was so organized. But we all want different things and half our gold goes to funding different genocides. More Demonbane arrows, you fools!

Weiley31

Legend
The one thing I like the most bout Paladins in this edition, is that, so far, they are almost the only class that has a Devil Trigger/Super Mode transformation. Sure it's a capstone ability of the class, but honestly if one wanted to make a similar thing for other classes, that's the idea to base it on.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In that "single target melee Nova" niche they can't be beat. The Big Paladin lobbied hard to make Paladins the Kings of SMITE!.
That does seem to be both the issue and cool factor. Masses of generalized functionality in multiple roles and easy swap out to a very impressive climactic.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
3e Paladins were utter trash, though. The 4e one wasn't very good, either.
It was ok in 4e (and some concepts of it got better with the divine power expansion) few classes were actively bad, and I did think the 4e Paladin/Lock was pretty damn slick hybrid though.

Last edited:

cough, Find Steed, Greater Find Steed.

You just Exposed the Melee Fighter’s weakness. The Paladin has a trusty steed to counter.
Unless you just meant between levels 1-3.
1. The steed also has low hit points.

2. Many Paladins have better feats to take than Mounted Combat to protect the steed.

3. Being mounted tends not to be very feasible in dungeons.

4. While the steed is easy enough to replace if it dies, it also takes another 2nd-level spell slot (or 4th for Greater steed) that you probably would've preferred to use for something else (like another Smite).

Weiley31

Legend
1. The steed also has low hit points.

2. Many Paladins have better feats to take than Mounted Combat to protect the steed.

3. Being mounted tends not to be very feasible in dungeons.

4. While the steed is easy enough to replace if it dies, it also takes another 2nd-level spell slot (or 4th for Greater steed) that you probably would've preferred to use for something else (like another Smite).
For the steed, apply Revised Ranger Beast Master mechanics or Artificer Might of The Master to upgrade Steed HP/make them better in combat.

For the steed, apply Revised Ranger Beast Master mechanics or Artificer Might of The Master to upgrade Steed HP/make them better in combat.
Eh, I don't think the steed needs to be buffed. Something you get from one memorized spell + one spell slot should have more limitations than an entire subclass' key feature.

Mostly I was just pointing out that the steed does indeed have those limitations. And that's OK.

Remove ads