An odd idea...

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Re: Re: Take "10" on Defense Rolls

Jack Haggerty said:

Well... that's pretty much D&D now, isn't it?

Besides, combat is a rather stressful situation, in which you shouldn't be able to Take 10.

I'd agree with the synergy bonuses. You could also have a synergy bonus between dodge and parry.

Speaking of which, I'd make Parry a Str skill, and make certain you stipulate that it is unusable against ranged attacks unless a shield is being used to parry. The idea is that at it's very basic, a parry is blocking a weapon with a weapon (or shield), pitting the defender's strength against the attacker's. If the defender is stronger, he bats away the attack. If the attacker is stronger, he batters through the defense. Training (adding skill ranks), will teach the defender parrying tricks that don't require brute strength to withstand a blow.

So, Melee Attack = Str and Parry = Str.
Ranged Attack = Dex and Dodge = Dex.

Dodge works against all attacks, but Parry only works against melee, unless you use a shield to parry.

Yep, but your value will be different. If your party if fighting mooks what is the point of slowing down combat by adding an extra roll.

You are now headed towards GURPS territory here. In GURPS you Block, Dodge, or Parry an attack. Block should be strength based, Dodge should be dexterity based, and parry should be BAB based. IMHO.

Bob Aberton

First Post
I don't know though...Parry can't be BAB-based, because with this system, BAB is based on a skill, so you'd end up with a skill based on a skill.
If its a fight w/a bunch of mooks, they can probably be assumed to be taking 10, if for no other reason than to speed up (relatively) unimportanat combat.

I think that Parry should be STR based, as well, though...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Isn't a "block" essentially the same thing as a "parry"?

And yes... Taking 10 on the defense roll could be an alternate rule to speed up Goomba-Combat. As opposed to D&D, where taking 10 on defense is standard and rolling for defense is the alternate rule.

If you're making everything a skill, though, rolling the dice should be the standard.

Remove ads