ZEITGEIST Another Odd Zeitgeist Devolopement and a question

Bruize

First Post
Beware the spoilers! Whooo!

My group is currently going through the Dying Skyseer module and has recently gotten some awesome new players to join their ranks. One player in particular has come up with the idea of recreating the Bond of Forced Faith ritual. He is even wants to go through the extra effort to have an experienced ritual caster come witness the casting in hopes of recreating it.

I'm inclined to let him do it but I have a feeling once they realize what it took to create the ritual they will most certainly not pursue the issue. I'm just curious if the Ritual Casters of the RHC can recreate a likeness of the ritual that doesn't have the evil methodology and has a reduced effectiveness?

Secondly, I want to make sure I'm not shorting the party on loot by misunderstanding what I'm reading. When the module says, "four magic items possessed by NPCs" during the level 2 stage, is that referring to the Hat of Hats, Hedge Wizard's Gloves, and Aeriad Bracers (and what else?) or am I supposed to be giving 4 magic items in addition to these?

The idea is that it's a horrid ritual that only a villain would create (because otherwise it's a horribly broken power that would completely unbalance the game). I would not recommend letting the PCs get an extra copy, especially without paying the same cost. Perhaps let them get info about its nature, which will come in handy later, but not an actual copy.

If the party is not with the RHC, and thus does not have a stipend, they should generally be getting access to 12 magic items over the course of the adventure, I believe. I think there are 12 listed in the rewards section, but I'm at GenCon and can't doublecheck. If they're with the RHC, they don't get stipend PLUS items; they get stipend, and can requisition items.

(There might not be a clean division of 4 items per level, it might be 3/5/4, or something.)

Bruize

First Post
Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling the rewards were more or less accounted for in one way or another.

I have not yet given them the info on the creation of the ritual. I'm hoping when they make the arcana check it will dissuade theme. My backup plan is that if they aren't shocked and horrified (because my players are are a touch on the chaotic neutral side) is to have the ritual caster they burn prestige on take the information back to headquarters and be lost in the research stage for a very, very long time.

For kicks, in between adventures I might have them come in to help test various recreated versions that ultimately fail.

Remove ads