• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any games to get excited about in 2009?

Thanee

First Post
Mass Effect also, supposedly had pretty ridiculous system requirements, but it's all hearsay.

Well, I only played Mass Effect from the ones you listed, but it surely isn't just a bone thrown at the PC crowd. They have taken the time to work on the controls to make them PC worthy (i.e. good mouse/keyboard controls) and AFAIK they also made a few other improvements, which probably weren't possible like that on the weaker console technology.

System Requirements are modest.

2.4/2.0 GHz Single/Double Core CPU
1 GB RAM
256 MB Video Card

Bye
Thanee

Felon

First Post
Yes, the PC version of Mass Effect featured improvements over the console. Honestly, while it's a good game, there's a lot of bugs and, worse, unfulfilled promises in ME.

Man, when this game was in development, Biohazard told us we'd get regular doses of DLC that would continue to expand the game's universe. Instead, we got one download. Just can't trust game developers these days.

Thanee

First Post
Well, you know that it is a first part of a trilogy? There surely is more to come, but it takes time to develop such things (especially if they are also working on their MMO project).

Speaking of which, I havn't even looked at the downloadable content yet. :lol:

I found only minimal bugs, when I played the game. Some annoying crashes being the worst, but only few.

Bye
Thanee

Felon

First Post
The regular injections of DLC was supposed to fill the space between the sequels. They've just officially announced the ME sequel last week, and in all likelyhood no more DLC is forthcoming. It was just a plain old case of blowing their product up to be the Next Big Step Forward and then not delivering. ME was good, it just wasn't the evolutionary experience they claimed it would be.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 5, Dragon Age: Origins and Blood Bowl. Maybe Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not a lot else.

Hammerhead

Explorer
The regular injections of DLC was supposed to fill the space between the sequels. They've just officially announced the ME sequel last week, and in all likelyhood no more DLC is forthcoming. It was just a plain old case of blowing their product up to be the Next Big Step Forward and then not delivering. ME was good, it just wasn't the evolutionary experience they claimed it would be.

Yeah, Mass Effect was good when they actually bothered to make a game experience; unfortunately, most of my time playing the game was spent on lifeless, generally hostile worlds driving around in a tank that weighs about twenty pounds and shooting evil robots without another soul in sight. Sometimes I would go into structures filled with boxes that all looked the same, and shoot people inside.

I have my worries about Dragon Age as well, since they're going with a similar setup for your character's role in the world. The Grey Guards seem, basically, to be exactly the same as the Spectres, only they use swords instead of guns. Making a character part of some elite military force seems to destroy the illusion of player choice and remove personal involvement. And I had thought that DA was going to be a PC exclusive, except now it isn't. So now I'm a little hesitant about DA:O, although playing through your origin story does sound pretty awesome.

Also, Batman: Arkham Asylum looks pretty sweet.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Interesting that folks are getting excited about this one, as info about the actual nature of the gameplay is just starting to trickle in. I guess the license has some appeal for older gamers, but the thing is movie-license games have a longstanding tradition of being sub-par.

I played the demo at NYCC, and it was a lot of fun. That says nothing for the game as a whole, but for what anecdotal statements it is worth, I thought it was good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads