Any good Eldrich Knight/Arcane Trickster spellbook house rules?

bleezy

First Post
I think it would fit the EK & AT thematically if they could learn spells from books, plus it would make a campaign more engaging if they could be a part of the normal magical ecosystem. In a party without a wizard it would give them reasons to want to find ancient libraries of spell lore, get involved with mage guilds, etc.

Obviously getting rid of the known spells limit would be a huge buff, and requiring them to find and scribe their spells while keeping the known spells limit would be a huge nerf. I think something in the middle would be nice. Another potential element to vary would be the cost or time for scribing spells.

Has anyone played around with this before?

At higher levels they would have more access to money and spells so any benefit that would be given to them in exchange for the requirement to keep a spellbook should be somewhat front loaded. Maybe they get an extra spell known at 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th level but ALL spells must be found and paid for. What do you think?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
How many spells do they normally end up with currently? 13 or 15? I think half their level + intelligence modifier would give them similar numbers prepared.

I'd probably give them a spellbook with 6 spells at level 3. Allow them to add new spells found on scrolls to their book as per the wizard. And maybe give them an additional 2 spells for free every time they gain access to a new spell level (based on the eldritch knight spellcasting chart).

You could probably open up the schools of magic to include all schools as well. They are so limited on spell slots that I don't think that would be too much of a power boost.

neogod22

Explorer
I think it would fit the EK & AT thematically if they could learn spells from books, plus it would make a campaign more engaging if they could be a part of the normal magical ecosystem. In a party without a wizard it would give them reasons to want to find ancient libraries of spell lore, get involved with mage guilds, etc.

Obviously getting rid of the known spells limit would be a huge buff, and requiring them to find and scribe their spells while keeping the known spells limit would be a huge nerf. I think something in the middle would be nice. Another potential element to vary would be the cost or time for scribing spells.

Has anyone played around with this before?

At higher levels they would have more access to money and spells so any benefit that would be given to them in exchange for the requirement to keep a spellbook should be somewhat front loaded. Maybe they get an extra spell known at 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th level but ALL spells must be found and paid for. What do you think?
Technically, there really is nothing stopping them. The spells known is really just spells they can memorize. But it's really a way of multiclassing without multiclassing

bleezy

First Post
Technically, there really is nothing stopping them. The spells known is really just spells they can memorize. But it's really a way of multiclassing without multiclassing

I don't think so. They can't prepare any spells other than their spells known. They are like sorcerers, by default the spells they have memorized are the same as all the spells in their repertoire.

neogod22

Explorer
I don't think so. They can't prepare any spells other than their spells known. They are like sorcerers, by default the spells they have memorized are the same as all the spells in their repertoire.
Wrong, they don't prepare spells, because they don't carry spellbooks. They memorize a few spells and go from there. It's exactly the way a wizard would be without a spellbook. The balancing factor is, they are limited to the schools of magic they can learn, since they don't suffer the multiclass penalty.

Remove ads