• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any way for a human to gain Darkvision?

farscapesg1

First Post
OK, I'm thinking about making a human rogue/fighter but due the current campaign we are in there is a lot of underground/dungeon activity. As a human, trying to move through the dungeons using move silently and Hide in Shadows while carrying a light source is obviously counter-productive.

Are there any rules out there that would grant a human darkvision? Either a feat, prestige class, or cheap magical item? I would have thought that you would possibly get it from the Stoneblessed prestige class in Races of Stone but no luck there.

Yes, I know that I could play a dwarf (or other creature with darkvision), but that wasn't really the way I was looking to go.

IcyCool

First Post
farscapesg1 said:
OK, I'm thinking about making a human rogue/fighter but due the current campaign we are in there is a lot of underground/dungeon activity. As a human, trying to move through the dungeons using move silently and Hide in Shadows while carrying a light source is obviously counter-productive.

Well, in the DMG there is the Horizon Walker PrC. One of the terrain walking abilities grants darkvision, I believe. I seem to recall a magic item that did this as well...

NexH

First Post
The Hoardstealer grants darkvision, or improves Darkvision, up to +90 feet. The Initiate of the Draconic mysteries grants darkvision plus low-light vision, the Talon of Tiamat also gives this. All of these PrC are from the Draconomicon.
Googles of night grant darkvision 60 ft.

farscapesg1

First Post
OK, maybe I need to give a little more information :)

Our characters are currently level 4. That puts a big restriction on magical items.

This is just a character idea at the moment in case my current character meets an unfortunate demise. So, there is a good chance that by the time I need to bring him into the game, I will be able to afford the magical items required.

Infiniti2000

First Post
A belt of dwarvenkind would be a better purchase than goggles of night, though probably out of your price range. Other than that, potions of darkvision would work.

farscapesg1

First Post
Hmm, I may have found the option I was looking for.

Dragon Magazine had a couple Greyhawk Regional feats articles and one of them is Orc-blooded. That would give the character 30 ft darkvision at 1st level. Since our campaign is set in Greyhawk, and the DM allows these feats that is probably the way I will go.

Thanks for all the other advice.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Dragonstar Galactic Races has a Night-Adapted template that gives a character 60 ft Darkvision at the cost of Light Blindness, with no LA.

Shouldn't be too hard of a magical ritual.

Remove ads