D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

Warpiglet

Adventurer
My biggest issue is that Levels in DnD can make a MAJOR difference or no real difference at all.

- Either you get something entirely new with awsome powers
- Or "all" you get is just another hit die

I prefer systems with smoother progression.

When I read this I am thinking that "other systems" is likely referred to something other than AD&D or and earlier edition of D&D.

If so, this makes sense.

I have played through most of the editions of D&D almost exclusively and as a result, the 5e progression feels very full and rewarding with an abundance of goodies. There are often spells, ASIs, feats and subclass abilities. I am guessing this is a frame of reference thing.

Coming from 1e AD&D mostly (and some 3e later) I am pretty used to big swings and pivotal levels. Remember fighters getting 3/2 or 2/1?! Fireball at fifth level is pretty big...

My solution is to try and become more immersed and less ability focused per se so I enjoy more of the ride.

5ekyu

Hero
Is there a 5e class that has a level so dead that all it gets is a hit die?

The closest i see are some spell casters that only get a hit die and new spells but those aretypically at levels where you unlock a new level of spell - like 7th or 9th.

So the precise claim does not seem valid.

However, the sentiment is not all that far off if the level is say all passive values.

Monk at 10th gains 5 more feet move (to 50 from 45), a ki point (up to 10 from 9) and immunity to poison and disease all of which i would be fine with myself but i can see how that particular level is not anywhere near as exciting a gain or as beneficial a gain as others where you gain more active additions that are more like "new keys to new locks" than just "another 5-10% gain" in a few things.

.this sentiment is part of the reason in my next 5e based game i plan to level at the odds - jumping two levels each time instead of one - so that each "level up" process is more of a "major thing" every time than the sort of hit and miss you have now.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The closest i see are some spell casters that only get a hit die and new spells but those aretypically at levels where you unlock a new level of spell - like 7th or 9th.

So the precise claim does not seem valid.

However, the sentiment is not all that far off if the level is say all passive values.

Monk at 10th gains 5 more feet move (to 50 from 45), a ki point (up to 10 from 9) and immunity to poison and disease all of which i would be fine with myself but i can see how that particular level is not anywhere near as exciting a gain or as beneficial a gain as others where you gain more active additions that are more like "new keys to new locks" than just "another 5-10% gain" in a few things.

.this sentiment is part of the reason in my next 5e based game i plan to level at the odds - jumping two levels each time instead of one - so that each "level up" process is more of a "major thing" every time than the sort of hit and miss you have now.

I can certainly see wanting more "buttons" (for lack of a better term) when you level up. Nothing wrong with that. Though personally my favorite options only need a few buttons that are useful in a lot of scenarios.

5ekyu

Hero
I can certainly see wanting more "buttons" (for lack of a better term) when you level up. Nothing wrong with that. Though personally my favorite options only need a few buttons that are useful in a lot of scenarios.
I can see that.

For my players its often as if leveling up is the chore and leveling up to get just sone value changes is more bother than worth.

Thats why i plan to double up so the each chore produces more tangible results and consequentially longer periods to play them before another chore hits.

CapnZapp

Legend
How much more is there really to discuss?
I know you want to derail the discussion so instead of us discussing what we want, we instead discuss whether it's allowed to discuss what we want, but it's not going to happen.

Right then, back on track.

As for dull character advancement, I think the best way forward is for WotC to add an alternative "front-end"; a new set of core classes that remain compatible with the "back-end": the task resolution, the combat engine, the monsters etc.

These "advanced" classes needn't strive for identical power level with the PHB classes; while you can mix and match, the design should imo assume that any player group that buys this will roll up a new set of characters together.

Meaning they should primarily work together and be tested together, just like the PHB classes.

In a broader sense they can be interspersed with existing classes, but that should not be the primary concern. The ability to exactly reproduce the existing class builds should not be a design goal (great if it's possible but good if it isn't).

There are several ways to "unwrap" the existing quick but simple class advancement: "smaller" feats and class features (but more decision points), getting proficiency to specific tasks and not all at once, etc

Feels good to be back on track discussing the thread topic

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
For martial characters, not nearly as interesting to me as 4th edition with all its Powers or Feats to choose from almost every level as well as Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies. Casters however have lots of fun.

4e just had awesome names and paths for martial characters. For 5e I wish they had little things like that they got, like weapon styles that had minor benefits in very specific situations.

G

Guest 6801328

I know you want to derail the discussion so instead of us discussing what we want, we instead discuss whether it's allowed to discuss what we want, but it's not going to happen.

Right then, back on track.

As for dull character advancement, I think the best way forward is for WotC to add an alternative "front-end"; a new set of core classes that remain compatible with the "back-end": the task resolution, the combat engine, the monsters etc.

These "advanced" classes needn't strive for identical power level with the PHB classes; while you can mix and match, the design should imo assume that any player group that buys this will roll up a new set of characters together.

Meaning they should primarily work together and be tested together, just like the PHB classes.

In a broader sense they can be interspersed with existing classes, but that should not be the primary concern. The ability to exactly reproduce the existing class builds should not be a design goal (great if it's possible but good if it isn't).

There are several ways to "unwrap" the existing quick but simple class advancement: "smaller" feats and class features (but more decision points), getting proficiency to specific tasks and not all at once, etc

Feels good to be back on track discussing the thread topic

And I want a pony!

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
And I want a pony!

11f7da35999d0a44525601a000514d47.jpg

Remove ads