• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have the Tempest Req handy? (MOTW)

kreynolds

First Post
BAB +9, Ambidexterity, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Weapon Finesse (any) or Weapon Focus (any).

EDIT: Damn you Baron! Remind me not to post when I'm stuffing my face with peanut butter cookies and coffee. :)

Last edited:

Baron Von StarBlade

kreynolds said:

EDIT: Damn you Baron! Remind me not to post when I'm stuffing my face with peanut butter cookies and coffee. :)

I was feverishly typing to get that in.

BTW while I was typing I noticed that the Tempest has alot of Synergy with the Weapons Master. I can see a Human Short Sword Wpn Master/Tempest working out pretty nicely.

Rgr1/Ftr6/Wpn X/Tmpt Y

Not sure how many of the nice Special Abilities you'd be able to get from Both Classes though.

Kaelynna

First Post
Thanks to both of you!

Baron Von StarBlade said:

I was feverishly typing to get that in.

BTW while I was typing I noticed that the Tempest has alot of Synergy with the Weapons Master. I can see a Human Short Sword Wpn Master/Tempest working out pretty nicely.

Rgr1/Ftr6/Wpn X/Tmpt Y

Not sure how many of the nice Special Abilities you'd be able to get from Both Classes though.

Hey Baron,

That's an interesting level build there. I might have to look into that.

I have a quick question for you. For a fighter/rogue character who fights two handed, is he/she better off with Weapon Finesse (Rapier) or Weapon Finesse (Short Sword). I'm trying to decide whether I want this character to fight with 2 short swords or 1 rapier and 1 short sword. Other feats the character may have are the following:

Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Track (Ranger bonuses)
Improved Initiative
Weapon Finesse
Quick Draw
Combat Reflexes
Expert Tactician
Flick of the Wrist
Quicker than the Eye
Improved Critical
Expertise
and Improved Disarm

So which is better to finesse (short sword or rapier) (assuming the above).

Thanks!
- Kae.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Thanks to both of you!

Kaelynna Thelanthra said:
I'm trying to decide whether I want this character to fight with 2 short swords or 1 rapier and 1 short sword.

You can always fight with two rapiers. Also, if you have Arms & Armor, I highly recommend you take a look at the Straightsword or the Fencing Saber. Both are very nice weapons.

Baron Von StarBlade

Re: Thanks to both of you!

Kaelynna Thelanthra said:

Hey Baron,

That's an interesting level build there. I might have to look into that.

I have a quick question for you. For a fighter/rogue character who fights two handed, is he/she better off with Weapon Finesse (Rapier) or Weapon Finesse (Short Sword). I'm trying to decide whether I want this character to fight with 2 short swords or 1 rapier and 1 short sword. Other feats the character may have are the following:

Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Track (Ranger bonuses)
Improved Initiative
Weapon Finesse
Quick Draw
Combat Reflexes
Expert Tactician
Flick of the Wrist
Quicker than the Eye
Improved Critical
Expertise
and Improved Disarm

So which is better to finesse (short sword or rapier) (assuming the above).

Thanks!
- Kae.

I personally would go with Short Sword, for 2 reasons:
1) If you use a Rapier in your off-hand you'll take a penalty for using a medium weapon so more than likely you'd use a dagger or another small weapon as your off hand weapon. . which leads to. .
2) Using the same weapon in both hands means you have to spend less feats on things like Weapon Finesse/Weapon Focus/Weapon Spec/Improved Crit. . .

I actually had a character Concept who would use 2 Short Swords, the Primary was his Damage Weapon (Keen Short Sword), the Second was his Defense Weapon. A +5 Defending Short Sword. Since the Tempest gets the Off Hand Parry Bonus you basically Dump the +5 Defending when you are Off Hand Parrying (basically all the time), I think after every thing was said and done with he would normally fight with an AC of 55ish which isn't bad for a Finesse fighter :)

Baron Von StarBlade

Re: Re: Thanks to both of you!

kreynolds said:

You can always fight with two rapiers. Also, if you have Arms & Armor, I highly recommend you take a look at the Straightsword or the Fencing Saber. Both are very nice weapons.

Twin Sword Fighting from the FRCS is also decent.

Kaelynna

First Post

Baron Von StarBlade said:

I personally would go with Short Sword, for 2 reasons:
1) If you use a Rapier in your off-hand you'll take a penalty for using a medium weapon so more than likely you'd use a dagger or another small weapon as your off hand weapon. . which leads to. .
2) Using the same weapon in both hands means you have to spend less feats on things like Weapon Finesse/Weapon Focus/Weapon Spec/Improved Crit. . .

I actually had a character Concept who would use 2 Short Swords, the Primary was his Damage Weapon (Keen Short Sword), the Second was his Defense Weapon. A +5 Defending Short Sword. Since the Tempest gets the Off Hand Parry Bonus you basically Dump the +5 Defending when you are Off Hand Parrying (basically all the time), I think after every thing was said and done with he would normally fight with an AC of 55ish which isn't bad for a Finesse fighter :)

Very interesting concept. Nice AC too! Was this character a duelist? What were your character levels (classes) if you don't mind me asking.

- K.

Kaelynna

First Post

kreynolds said:

I'll check out Arms and Armor. Those weapons sound interesting. Thanks!

Remove ads