• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Anyone know a Pro-4e site?

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
I had asked:

What's wrong with a guy posting that he's very excited about 4E and looks forward to running a game using that version of D&D?

And I get this:

Set said:
By responding to any concern...by attacking the poster...[blah blah blah]

Attacking the poster is wrong. Stating that one is excited for 4E is not. Sounds like we're in agreement. You answered a question different from the one I asked, but - ah well - you obviously put some time into it, and who am I to pick on you.

Set said:
The pro-4E camp was in a minority, roughly half the size of the pro-3E camp, so perhaps they felt it necessary to put their backs to the wall and start spewing venom as fast as they could, while begging for moderation to stop the mean nasty 'haters' from responding to their flames.

Huh? Wha? I don't get it. Do you really believe the stuff you write?

Set said:
...the pro-4E crowd (and this is from the designers on down) have an unfortunate tendency to say, 'Well, 3E is boring, broken and unplayable, and if you like this, your games are boring, too, so here's what we are doing in 4E.'

Ahhh, now we're back to reality. I agree with you. I love(d) 3E. Brought me back into the game. The fact that the hobby is now ready to move forward once again in no way minimalizes, marginalizes, or trivializes the benefits that 3E did for the community as a whole. Just like 3E didn't toss 1E out the window in terms of importance to our hobby and to the community.

You always have to start somewhere, and improvement is often a gradual process.

Don't be hatin' -

W.P.

Psion

Adventurer
Will said:
... Are you joking, Psion? Didn't you HEAR?

Stormbringer got his ass kicked off the rpg.net d20 forum. He's not totally banned... but he can't post on d20. Ever.

No, I hadn't heard. I sort of stopped reading 4e threads after they devolved into "did not/did too" arguments ad naseum between stormbringer and folks he didn't know when it was time to just walk away.

I did step into a pathfinder thread today and got an angry response to an innocuous post... which means stormbringer has 'em trained, I guess.

Spatula

Explorer
Mistwell said:
It's not like the 3e rules forum reads like what you wrote, but it is safe to say the 3e rules for is pro-3e.
The 3e rules forum also has the 3e rules to debate over, as opposed to hype and incomplete snippets. And it's divided into its own pro- and anti- camps - they just draw different battle lines than you see here, but the debates are no less contentious. Without actual disagreement, there isn't much to talk about.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Spatula said:
The 3e rules forum also has the 3e rules to debate over, as opposed to hype and incomplete snippets. And it's divided into its own pro- and anti- camps - they just draw different battle lines than you see here, but the debates are no less contentious. Without actual disagreement, there isn't much to talk about.

Not all, or even necessarily most, 3e rules discussions are that way. For example, there are lots of "Make my bard better" and "100 things to do with the silent image spell" type threads that are both harmonious and interesting discussions.

There is plenty to talk about without disagreement concerning 4e as well. Like "What class are you most looking forward to with 4e" and "DNDXP sample character discussion" and "Battle Tactics based on what we know" and "Come up with your own skills challenges" and "4e fan-made sample module" and "Miniatures of Dragonborn and Tieflings" and "Player and DM aids for tracking power usage" and a host of other topics. These don't NEED disagreement to be interesting threads.

For a game that is supposed to be about people cooperating with each other to achieve common goals, sometimes I think some folks have lost track of that goal and feel that disagreement for disagreements sake is itself a good thing. It's not. Some topics naturally lend themselves to disagreement, and others don't. I think some self-censorship is called for lately in trying to decide which is which.

Will

First Post
Psion: Well, there's still a few rabid pro/anti/charm/up 4e folks pissing about, but it's a lot better. Maybe not better enough, I dunno. ;)

All I can say is it was refreshing having people kibbitz about a few ideas on what to do with 4e without BLAAARGH.

Elephant

First Post
Baumi said:
I find ENWorld quite positive. While there are always Nay-Sayers, they are still a small minority ... just enough to start some interesting discussions.

I can also recommend the d20 rpg.net Forum. Most of the D&D4 News are taken very positively there since rpg.net has no focus to one specific System and is therefore very open to new Systems and Ideas.

Nay! Nay, I say!

Hmm. Wait, no, that's not right. Elephants trumpet, horses neigh. That one always gets me :p

Remove ads