• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Anyone know a Pro-4e site?

hazel monday

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
Look no further than that shattered wasteland once known as the Paizo messageboards

W.P.

I get a lot of milage out of the Paizo messageboards. There are a lot of friendly, smart people there. Designers and fans alike. I don't see why you feel the need to insult them.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
What's wrong with a guy posting that he's very excited about 4E and looks forward to running a game using that version of D&D?
Not a darn thing. :)
Yet, at the same time. Nothing wrong with a guy posting that he is concerend that 4e seems to be taking a direction that is very much not to his liking and that it upsets him because D&D is a brand with which he identifies very strongly.

Most of the problems arise from the responses made by the other side. "You like this new crap? You must be an idiot, it's being made for simpltons, you know." or "You just need to grow up and accept that you're crappy broken game is dead. 4E FTW!"
Which of course brings hostility from the OPs side, and things head straight for the toilet.

If you're on the fence, I would hope you're impartial enough to admit that there is simply no comparison when it comes to the level of maturity and courtesy commonly exhibited in posts. (If you're not sure which side is more courteous, I'm not gonna tell you.)

Look no further than that shattered wasteland once known as the Paizo messageboards - <snip>

W.P.
Not going to concern myself with Paizo's boards. I think I have posted there 4 times... ever.

As for courtesy here, it depends, honestly. It hasn't been an issue I've noticed recently, but for awhile if anyone dared to start a topic that seemed a little bit negative they were quickly dog-piled by posters telling them to grow up, get over it, and move on. Probably not something most people noticed, but as someone who could see both sides of the argument, I was horrified at the one-sidedness.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darkwolf71 said:
As for courtesy here, it depends, honestly. It hasn't been an issue I've noticed recently, but for awhile if anyone dared to start a topic that seemed a little bit negative they were quickly dog-piled by posters telling them to grow up, get over it, and move on. Probably not something most people noticed, but as someone who could see both sides of the argument, I was horrified at the one-sidedness.

It is interesting to note that for complaints, the moderation staff has received roughly the same number on each side - we are told that we are biased for 4e about as often as we are told we hate 4e.

The absolute fact of the matter is that moderation on the boards is, by its nature reacitve. We cannot stop a nasty post before it happens. And, in many cases, it takes two to tango - the issue is isn't so much the content of a particular post, so much as two people who decide to lock horns and get into an escalation cycle.

Only you, the posting public of EN World, can proactively control the tone of the site. We will have peace and civility when you folks, collectively, decide that's what you really want. When you all collectively agree to stop engaging in nastiness, stop feeding trolls, and politely ask others to stop being jerks, then this place will be as nice as you remember it can be.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gorrstagg said:
Hey Ranger REG, in this case, I'm even more excited for 4E than I was for the change from 2nd edition to 3rd. And I've been playing since 1982. So I know the hype of new editions.

This one though, has me more interested from a DM's perspective than any other. Because they've quantified, social encounters, traps, and mobs as it were. Tonight, I ran a preview for my regular group, and saw these folks getting the grasp of the characters and what they could do (using the pregens, and the elven pregen rogue from these boards), and how much fun they had.

I had a blast running a rough outlined social encounter, that used 6 successes, and 4 failures as the norm. For what you ask? Easy, to determine the upcoming encounters for the next day, and if anything good/bad happened to them while they were in town.

And that was based off of easy/moderate/hard social encounters. And let me tell you, it made the town experience fun, and set up an ambush for later on the next day.

Overall, 4E, looks to be really right where I'm wanting to game for the next handful of years.
Sounds like you switch more underwear in a day than I switch in a year.

I'm still loving 3e, and until that love ran out, 4e will have to wait a few more years for me.

For now, I'm looking forward to the 4e alpha development material, that is now part of Star Was Saga Edition.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
SW SAGA is a lot of fun, although the force rules are easily abusable at low levels, and I'm a little baffled how they didn't see that as a problem during playtesting. But after playing it, I immeadiately wanted to revamp the D&D skills along similar lines - consolidating all related skills, getting rid of skill points, etc. It's so much more elegant, and makes building characters a breeze. It's not like having a seperate skill for Balance ever did the game any good, anyway...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Gorrstagg said:
This one though, has me more interested from a DM's perspective than any other. Because they've quantified, social encounters, traps, and mobs as it were. Tonight, I ran a preview for my regular group, and saw these folks getting the grasp of the characters and what they could do (using the pregens, and the elven pregen rogue from these boards), and how much fun they had.

I had a blast running a rough outlined social encounter, that used 6 successes, and 4 failures as the norm. For what you ask? Easy, to determine the upcoming encounters for the next day, and if anything good/bad happened to them while they were in town.

And that was based off of easy/moderate/hard social encounters. And let me tell you, it made the town experience fun, and set up an ambush for later on the next day.
It's reading things like this that make me want to at least take a look - once it is released - at just how 4e handles some of this stuff. If it works anywhere near as well as you say while still serving to augment interactive roleplaying rather than replace it, I'm all ears.

Lanefan

TheSeer

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
What's wrong with honest discussion? I mean, the blindly fanatical 4e guys are IMO every bit as annoying as the blind raving 4e haters. I think that civil discussion by both sides would be far more bennifecial than 'the other side stay out' types of threads. Besides, where does that leave guys like me? I still haven't committed to either side of the fence. I will at least be giving the game as a whole a fair chance to convince me, but there are certainly pieces of what I've seen so far that I'm not sure I care for. Only being allowed to voice half of my opinions in any given thread is just damn silly.

Well the only thing I can say would be wrong with honest discussion is the premise of the post in the first place. A person, who is very pro-4E creates a thread for other people who are pro-4e to discuss what they *LIKE* about 4e. A non-4e person comes in, and in the spirit of honest discussion states their opinion, which now sends us down the threadcrapping spiral. That can be very frustrating for both sides and doesn't further anything other than hard feelings on both sides.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads