• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Anyone know a Pro-4e site?

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Darkwolf -

C'mon, man, it doesn't happen. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen.

Do yourself a disservice and go review many of the threads (including this one) on this site. Civil discussion? Common courtesy? Valid criticisms? No, no, and no.

Would the world be a better place if we didn't need to "lock out" negative types in order to enjoy a couple hours of free time while perusing the boards? Sure.

But that's a pipe dream, my brother.

A. Pipe. Dream.

W.P.

Irda Ranger

First Post
hennebeck said:
I'm looking for a website that is Pro-4e.
EN World, with proper use of the "Ignore this Poster" option, is your place. There really aren't too many posters that are unhelpfully negative about 4E.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
Darkwolf -

C'mon, man, it doesn't happen. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen.

Do yourself a disservice and go review many of the threads (including this one) on this site. Civil discussion? Common courtesy? Valid criticisms? No, no, and no.
Actually, yes. Plenty of all of those here. I'm sorry that all you see is the controversial posts. There are plenty of posters here who can post their concerns without hostility. I hope I can be counted among them. Yes, I admit. My own posts can occasionally become hostile and combative, but for the most part, I think I do fairly well at calmly (sometimes sarcasticly) stating my concernes as well as my hopes for 4e.

Would the world be a better place if we didn't need to "lock out" negative types in order to enjoy a couple hours of free time while perusing the boards? Sure.

But that's a pipe dream, my brother.

A. Pipe. Dream.

W.P.
The rude, nasty negative types? Sure lock them out. (and I think the Mods do a decent job at this) But shouldn't the hostile, rude pro-types be disiplined as well? (I think the mods do less well at this, but to be fair it is a harder job to do properly)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I would like, contribute to, and very much support a 4e thread that was dedicated to discussing neat stuff to do with the game. Indeed, I think many of the efforts to play 4e have turned out like that. Where the contentious issues occur are largely on threads that are about the newest releases from Wizards (because there's always going to be many opinions on the bits of info we get), and on threads that go off half-cocked on one side or the other (4e will destroy roleplaying, kill my parrot, and bring about the apocalypse of creativity!!!!! 3e shot my dog and made me vomit whenever I played it!!!! 4e will give us all candy and sunshine enemas while fixing global warming!!!!!!!).

Sanitized threads I can get behind because people want a little isolation from the hate every once in a while. Sanitized boards grate on my instinctive hate for myopic veiwpoints. At least in a positivity thread, you could get some of the 4e haters posting constructive things from their own angles.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
What's wrong with honest discussion? I mean, the blindly fanatical 4e guys are IMO every bit as annoying as the blind raving 4e haters. I think that civil discussion by both sides would be far more bennifecial than 'the other side stay out' types of threads. Besides, where does that leave guys like me? I still haven't committed to either side of the fence. I will at least be giving the game as a whole a fair chance to convince me, but there are certainly pieces of what I've seen so far that I'm not sure I care for. Only being allowed to voice half of my opinions in any given thread is just damn silly.

I think a lot of people would enjoy discussion of 4e along the lines of how 3e is discussed in the General section. Not all discussions about something in 4e must be related to a positive or negative spin, people can talk about the gaming within the system without resorting to judgment calls. We've got a few; takes work to keep them there, though.

It can be very difficult to keep a thread on topic without someone coming in and taking the opportunity to complain about something, even if it is only tangentially related to the topic at hand, simply because they want to complain. It only takes one person, someone passionate about a certain issue who sees a chance to talk about it. Then the pro- guys come out and start bashing the anti- guys, and the anti- guys have to come in and defend themselves, and the topic is the loser.

Then there's the simple "problem" that people love to argue. This means hot and controversial threads get bumped constantly by new posts while the "quieter" ones with people bouncing ideas back and forth typically fall to page 2... then 3... and while some people might visit page 2 occasionally, its pretty much a death sentence. That's the nature of message board, though, and its nothing new. Just something to think about if one were looking for a more pro-4e area - these threads might not be more plentiful, but they would be easier to find!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Holy Bovine said:
Here you go

It's wackily Pro 4E! ;)

That's just cruel.... ;)

In all fairness, Paizo has started moderating the 4e board so presumably things will get better.

EN World is one of the best sites on the web. The discussion is very balanced here and both sides are very civilized here.

I'll put in a personal plug for Dragon Avenue since I help the run the site. The site itself tries to be fair to D&D players of all editions, but most of the mods and admins (myself included) are pretty pro-4e so I guess by default it might lean pro-4e. We don't currently have the same amount of discussion that EN World has but that is changing as the site membership grows. Most of the posters there seem to be pretty pro-4e.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
My friend has DND4e.com registered and I'd be willing to put up PHPBB or something similar. If that's something you guys would want to see, let me know. I can have it up in a matter of hours.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
The rude, nasty negative types? Sure lock them out. (and I think the Mods do a decent job at this) But shouldn't the hostile, rude pro-types be disiplined as well? (I think the mods do less well at this, but to be fair it is a harder job to do properly)

First of all, you're not part of the problem and - I'm sad to admit - I am (at times).

That being said, how can the pro-4E guys be nasty and negative? I just don't see it. What's wrong with a guy posting that he's very excited about 4E and looks forward to running a game using that version of D&D?

If you're on the fence, I would hope you're impartial enough to admit that there is simply no comparison when it comes to the level of maturity and courtesy commonly exhibited in posts. (If you're not sure which side is more courteous, I'm not gonna tell you.)

Look no further than that shattered wasteland once known as the Paizo messageboards - they blew it over there by allowing degrading insults and slurs to be thrown around with righteous randomness. Too late to step into the breach now. It's the old "Pardon one offense and you encourage the commission of many" deal. They let a bunch of dimwits hammer folks such as Ari and what-not, and the whole community - and our hobby - suffers as a result.

Bah...that's a whole other thread.

W.P.

Cadfan

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
That being said, how can the pro-4E guys be nasty and negative? I just don't see it. What's wrong with a guy posting that he's very excited about 4E and looks forward to running a game using that version of D&D?
Two ways.

1. By responding unkindly to people who say bad things about 4e. Sometimes its deserved- there are certain people on this forum who don't technically violate rules, but who are... kooks and concern trolls. Sometimes its not (completely) deserved, such as when a random person wanders in and posts "4e is all anime naow!!!" While annoying, those people should probably be given the benefit of the doubt.

2. A lot of 4e haters interpret comments like "Thank god martial characters have something more interesting to do than full attack every round!" as somehow spitting on third edition. I don't think this is a reasonable interpretation, but that's what drives a lot of people to conclude that 4e fans are really 3e haters.

Remove ads