• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone play yet?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
One thing I have been noticing with the play-reports coming out is one word: fun.

There really does seem to have a real sense of fun behind 4E games, and a real sense of enjoyment. It almost pops of the page as you read about it.

This seems to be the game for a bunch of close-friends to spend the evening, laughing, joking but at the same time playing serious D&D.

keterys

First Post
It's not nearly as important as it is in 3rd or earlier - sure, the cleric I played was very helpful, but if I'd been a rogue we'd have killed things faster and needed less healing. Someone only went unconscious once in the group I was in - there were plenty of tense moments, certainly, but worst case people would just have had a couple more fall downs and 5 minute breaks to use up healing surges.

Want to ban leaders for some obscure reason? Remove the rule that you can only second wind once per encounter and add feats that allow you to second wind as a minor action, and add additional healing when second wind (1d6+cha modifier, for instance)

Poof.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Methinks that Gleemax poster doth protest too much. I'm going to need to see more data points before I can determine if his group's experience is typical. Tactical acumen and dice luck should still have a significant impact. Besides it sounds like he was pretty dang gung ho and made a number of tactical blunders that he would not have made if he actually had access to the rules (like the grab move).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Campbell said:
Methinks that Gleemax poster doth protest too much. I'm going to need to see more data points before I can determine if his group's experience is typical. Tactical acumen and dice luck should still have a significant impact. Besides it sounds like he was pretty dang gung ho and made a number of tactical blunders that he would not have made if he actually had access to the rules (like the grab move).

That I think will show the difference between experienced and unexperienced players. Before it was basically certain classes were "easier for beginners" or beginners didn't make as incredible builds as experienced players.

Now it will be how tactically sound the players are both in combat and social combat. So it is actual play not builds that show experience.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads