D&D 4E Anyone playing 4e at the moment?

BigZebra

Adventurer
I never stopped playing 4th. I also only run 2 games: D&D4e and Star Wars 1st/2nd WEG D6. I'm just one of those weirdos who isn't interested in 5th, 3rd, 3.5, 3.75, or 3.875.
Nice. I’m really looking forward to try it. Just got my 4e PHB in the mail and I quite like the book. I also really do like 5e but i think the 4e rules will fit our group really well.
What is it about 4e you prefer?

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Nice. I’m really looking forward to try it. Just got my 4e PHB in the mail and I quite like the book. I also really do like 5e but i think the 4e rules will fit our group really well.
It is consistent (more so than any other edition). Prep time is a fraction of what I dealt with back in the days of 2nd ed. I have a hacked version of the character builder (called CBLoader), and some fan built plug-ins for all the materials published after the official builder changed was On-Line only, so building characters is almost as easy as Adventure Tools made creating custom monsters.
One tip: make sure you get all of the corrections and errata. In the rush to print, some obvious typos are in there, and some things were clearly never play-tested and had to be corrected after the fact (like a lvl11 encounter power that's a close burst 8! or another power that was a close blurst--was that a blast or a burst? Nope, text actually says blurst. How did a spell-checker not catch that). Sure, it isn't completely perfect, but I think a lot of people were too busy attacking it for being too different from 3.5 to really give it a proper chance. Even WotC abandoned it after only half the planned time on the market. On the other hand, most of the books are available cheap, or you could look around for downloadable .pdf files. I won't post specific sites, as this /could/ be legally dubious, but that's what PM is for.
Sadly, some of the later classes never got the magic item or feat support they should have.
Your Mileage May Vary.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
4e is far more cinematic and larger than life, its powers and spells more poetic and while its multi-classing is initially restrained, by the time finished product is was far more safe and flexible (custom content not required). 4e assumed extraordinary skill is as awesome as magic instead of an inferior cousin.

Horwath

Legend
Overall not my favorite DND edition but it did have few good things.

It's balanced, maybe little too much :p

Magic items are very precised valued, again maybe a little too much,

At-will scaleable cantrips,

One thing that I hated is +1/2 per level bonus to EVERYTHING.
It's too much

Maybe you should try 4E without +1/2 bonus.
It's far better, feat's, ASI's and +x magic items give more than enough "feeling" of advancement.
And it does not make low level monsters irrelevant after few levels.

dave2008

Legend
On the other hand, most of the books are available cheap, or you could look around for downloadable .pdf files. I won't post specific sites, as this /could/ be legally dubious, but that's what PM is for.
Sadly, some of the later classes never got the magic item or feat support they should have.
Your Mileage May Vary.
I think most, if not all, of the 4e books are available n PDF on DMsGuild legally: 4e DMsGuild

EDIT: PHB, MM, & DMG are definitely there as well as 212 other entries!

dave2008

Legend
Overall not my favorite DND edition but it did have few good things.

It's balanced, maybe little too much :p

Magic items are very precised valued, again maybe a little too much,

At-will scaleable cantrips,

One thing that I hated is +1/2 per level bonus to EVERYTHING.
It's too much

Maybe you should try 4E without +1/2 bonus.
It's far better, feat's, ASI's and +x magic items give more than enough "feeling" of advancement.
And it does not make low level monsters irrelevant after few levels.
Ya, if I go back to 4e ever I think I would get rid of the 1/2 level advancement too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases