D&D 4E Anyone playing 4e at the moment?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
@AbdulAlhazred might increase level and damage ;p but this is patterned after a Bards banishment style spell from 4e. LOL

Pugilists Legendary Uppercut/Smash - Warlord Attack 5​

With the might of legends you smash an enemy out of the field of battle

Daily ✦ Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature push back 14 squares (Dazed and Slowed Save Ends)

Attack: Strength vs. AC
Requirement: One hand free.
Hit: 3[W]+ Str modifier damage. Push the target 12 squares, Target is Dazed and Slowed save ends both);
Special: May be used as a basic attack at the end of a charge

Alternatively: this can be done as a smash which pushes the enemy out of play (save ends) represents them digging there way out visualize distance underground as significantly less.

Really hard ground option: adds a daze results and a bit more damage.

Edit: I think this was non-functional, adding slowed save ends both greatly reduces the complexity and makes the structure closer to standard. (However you need a way to inhibit ranged attacks) still punching somebody 60 feet is pretty legendary)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
@AbdulAlhazred might increase level and damage ;p but this is patterned after a Bards banishment style spell from 4e. LOL

Pugilists Legendary Uppercut/Smash - Warlord Attack 5​

With the might of legends you smash an enemy out of the field of battle

Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One creature

Attack: Strength vs. AC
Requirement: One hand free.
Hit: 2[W]+ Str modifier damage.

Effect: push target 16 Squares (target makes a series of saves) increase distance by 16 per failed save;
Special: May be used as a basic attack at the end of a charge

Alternatively: this can be done as a smash which pushes the enemy out of play (save ends) represents them digging there way out visualize distance underground as significantly less.

Really hard ground option: adds a daze results and a bit more damage.
For Mythic.
Make it level 29 damage 5[w], on the 3rd fail save the Target is simply gone you have thrown them into a "nearby" appropriate place also Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed (save ends)

There are several other instances of 3rd failed save and you get a gone gone gone target one at level 20.

Ack there is an insane one for Wizards

Crack the World - Wizard Attack 29​

The ground shudders and pulls apart to form a deep chasm into which your enemies fall.

DailyArcane, Evocation, Implement
Standard Action
Area wall 8 within 20 squares

Target: Each creature in the wall
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: The target is removed from play and takes ongoing 30 damage (save ends both).
Aftereffect: The target returns to play prone in a square adjacent to the wall.
Miss: The target takes 15 damage, and you push it up to 3 squares away from the wall.
Effect: The wall's space on the ground becomes a chasm 80 feet deep. A creature can climb the chasm's walls with a DC 31 Athletics check.

I can picture a Barbarian/Fighter might do a world splitting smash... but they strike the ground with their hammer/axe/greatsword

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And things only got more flexible over time. Brash Strike was relatively like becoming a striker in an at-will. Strength + 2 vs. AC and CA granted to enemies and a bonus damage based on a secondary attribute is like berserker for a round. And speaking of Berserker that was an interesting experiment showing hot swapping role specific class features could be possible another way. I think it could been done using stances too shrug.
And by over time we mean damn quickly, Brash Strike was by the way released in November, 6 months after the core game was out

I started listening to the Acqusitions, Inc. podcasts again. So many play videos and podcasts are boring; for some reason those are not. The end of Season 2, when Jerry rolls a “one”, followed by another “one”, is one of the funniest things in D&D podcast history, in my opinion.
Actually managed to corral a small group of four to play the “Twisting Halls”. Four players, ages 19 down to 3. Warpriest, Knight, Mage, and Thief, from eldest to youngest. All humans. In the first turn, all the monsters won initiative. The hex hurler goblin stepped from the shadows and blinded the Warpriest. The first goblin cutthroat jumped forward and slashed at the warpriest. The second goblin cutthroat release the guard drake, which scrambled forward and bit the Warpriest for enough damage to drop. The warpriest failed the first two death saving throws, but the mage finally managed to make a successful heal check to stabilize. The thief took out one cutthroat and the drake within the first couple of turns. Well, not the drake, really, since I misread my notes, and mistook the drake’s initiative for its remaining hit points, but decided no takebacks when I finally realized it.
The hex hurler finally bit it, the party rested, and moved into the next room. They fought a rat, then goblins, then more goblins, then another rat. The warpriest and the knight were exposed to coratovirus 19, but neither were infected. They discovered a message written in the dwarvish language behind a statue of a Minotaur, but decided to end the game session there.

we plan to play again next week.

S'mon

Legend
GM'd yesterday, assault on a goblin lair* by level 4 PCs, and killed 3 PCs (of 4) - one poor player has lost 3 PCs in the last 3 sessions of D&D he's played with me. :-O Will be taking a break from 4e for 6 weeks, when I come back should be GMing 7th level PCs in a 4th level adventure, hopefully they'll do better!

*It was a massive 'spike encounter' but with the goblins & their wolves all level 1-2 (mostly 1, plus level 3 hexer leader) I didn't expect it to go quite so badly against 4 all-source min-maxed level 4s. Party of Runepriest, Fighter, Rogue, Swordmage - player had swapped out her Wizard for a Swordmage which I think was a mistake going up against hordes of goblins.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
No, but I kind of wish I was. I've heard a lot of praise for it since it went out of print. The problem is, I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to because it underwent so many rewrites during its time in print. There were, IIRC, 44 pages of errata at one point, skill challenges alone underwent many revisions, the monster maths were heavily revised at one point, and the Essentials books were er... essentially... replacements for large chunks of the core books. If I wanted to start playing today, what books would I need to pick up?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
No, but I kind of wish I was. I've heard a lot of praise for it since it went out of print. The problem is, I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to because it underwent so many rewrites during its time in print.
Most of that is really subtle stuff tbh. It still plays as written (use the Skill challenges from DMG2 or later ) . Many erata is only significant if you are a group into optimizing WOTC had a habit of over tweaking, in my opinion. And I reject many of them on purpose. Tweaking my Character Builder to use the earlier forms.

Many will say the only thing usually vital is to make sure your monsters use the math of the 3rd monster manual . Look it up online its a simple adjustment. And even that is not immediately at lower levels much impact.

Remove ads