• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone remember Hero Quest?

Arc

First Post
Good times

Hero Quest was a lot of fun. I've got my beat up box around somewhere or another, just can't seem to find it. It never directly related to my introduction to DnD, but I suppose that it opened me up to fantasy role playing games.

Speaking of fantasy boardgames... anyone ever play Weapons&Warriors? It was the game where you actually shot plastic balls at enemy troops and emplacements. While it had rules, all the games I remember eventually devolved into rapid fire shooting at the castle (I had the really, really big castle set, with exploding towers and everything).

Last edited:

fett527

First Post
Alzrius said:
Ah yes...

"Is this like a video game?"

"Sort of, but it uses the most powerful information processor in the world: your brain."

Who was that "Dragon Master" in the video anyway? He was also the voice for the fighter in the First Quest audio CD (which was what I cut my teeth on when making the jump from OD&D to AD&D).

I don't know, but I imagine him still sitting in a dark room wearing a black turtleneck with a spot light on his face looking for DragonStrike victims!

"Teraptis will pay for his perversion of nature!"- Elf

Orius

Legend
Dirigible said:
Anyone still play HQ? I know it's got a substantive following on the net.

Ah, Hero Quest. I still have all my HQ stuff. I've got the basic stuff, plus all the American quest packs. I even use the minis and furniture for D&D games. The stuff's all the right scale and everything.

I remember introducing the game to my brother-in-law. He loved playing it, although he never could get into D&D.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Gregor said:
They put out a big large-scale war game as well did they not? Was it called like Battle Masters or something? I remember I used to have it as a kid and it came with that HUGE plastic battlemap, a constructable tower and regiments upon regiments of troops!

Anyone else have that?

I have that too, but I never really cared for it. The battles were WAY to random for anything even remotely resembling strategy. I bought a bunch of Warhammer mini bases (since Battle Masters was kind of like Warhammer Jr. or something anyway...) and just use the minis with those for my D&D games.

Orius

Legend
Richards said:
I've got both Hero Quest and Battle Masters. We used to play them alternately: I'd make up a scenario for Hero Quest that involved some new magic item, and if the party found it and escaped to the exit, then the "good guys" would get to use it in the next Battle Masters scenario. Fun times.

I had a small series of adventures that sort of tied in with the Battle Masters storyline. There were a few adventures where the Heroes were sent on commando-like rescue or recon missions, and I ended the storyline with an adventure where they went after the commander of the Chaos armies to kill him.

mistergone

First Post
I would almost literally KILL to get Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest (again, I had ot once... but it's just disappeared somehow). and Warhammer Quest. I loved those games, and I especially liked the minis. These days, I'd just use all the stuff with Savage Worlds as the rules. But man, I'd love to have all those games again.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
MisterGone, no need for murder, check out Ebay. There are usually sets of all 3 games for sale on there at any one time. Granted, you may end up paying $70 + for HQ an WhQ and over $100 easily for AHQ, but they are attainable.

Kane

Remove ads