Anyone seen Dragon 352 yet?

Arnwyn

First Post
BOZ said:
yeah, i think Monte was probably more annoyed that we changed Imix from the RttToEE version, rather than just that we made him a higher CR. ;)
In any case, the Imix in RttToEE blew.

The Dragon magazine article was far superior. Monte can roll his eyes until the cows come home.

eris404

Explorer
In case anyone from Paizo happens by, I just wanted to say:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :D

I've been waiting a long time for this issue and I am not disappointed. I am a big fan of Mieville and I thought the articles on Bas Lag were very well done. I have no complaints and only praise. Did I mention how great the artwork was? It is the right amount of disturbing mixed with grungy and creepy.

And lastly, I am glad the slakemoths are only CR9 - it means the characters in my campaign might actually survive them. :]

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I finally got this issue... and love it. I have a few gripes, especially with the slake moths as written - but I can remake (heh) them for my own purposes. But I'm a fanboy. Of course I have gripes! The rest of the issue is pretty good, too. I love the Eberron and FR features, and this month's Zogonia was great.

Demiurge out.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Arnwyn said:
The Dragon magazine article was far superior. Monte can roll his eyes until the cows come home.

Agreed. Same is true for the Demon Princes in Dragon versus the ones currently in print. I like THOSE better than the WotC ones. (The Orcus in ToH Revised was nice though.)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Agreed. Same is true for the Demon Princes in Dragon versus the ones currently in print. I like THOSE better than the WotC ones. (The Orcus in ToH Revised was nice though.)

I do too, as it turns out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Arnwyn said:
In any case, the Imix in RttToEE blew.

well now, i wouldn't quite say all that... the RttToEE Imix was good for what it was intended to be, but for him and his contemporaries to compete in 3.5e with the other exemplars, a change had to happen. i think i explained it pretty well in the linked-to thread.

besides that, i'll have to admit a personal preference to "flaming column of hellish fire" over "red man with a sword" - but that's just me. :)

Nightfall said:
Same is true for the Demon Princes in Dragon versus the ones currently in print. I like THOSE better than the WotC ones. (The Orcus in ToH Revised was nice though.)

James Jacobs said:
I do too, as it turns out.

now that i'll agree with. ;)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Now... even though I prefer the Demonomicon stats... the stats in the FC1 are more usable in most games I see myself running. I'd use them as aspects or avatars or manifestations or whatever. The fact that there's two versions for a lot of these demons (or elemental princes or whatever) out there to choose from (most of them if you count BoVD) is a strength. The inference that there can only ever be one stat block for a unique monster is unnecessarily limiting to the game.

I think that the more people come to think of D&D monsters like Demon Lords as things they can (and should) customize to their particular play style and campaign, rather than assume that just because they got printed in a hardcover book means they're the ONLY choices available, is a good thing.

I'm not sure that last sentence was grammatically correct... but it's late and I think it probably gets the idea across anyway.

Sammael

Adventurer
Oddly enough, I received both #351 and #352 today. Looking at the mailing label, they were both sent from the US, instead of the UK as was the case until now. I imagine #351 was late because of this switch, but I wonder what the reason for switching was in the first place.

Remove ads