D&D 5E Anyone using spell points from the DMG?

jgsugden

Legend
I'm curious as to how well they worked for you, especially at higher levels. BONUS: what do you think of – instead of spell slots or spell points – using a spellcasting roll to see if a spell works or not?
Spell points - I have a few NPC Psionic characters that use a modified version of the spell point system. It is fine, though abusable by players.

I used to run a system where PCs had Magical Strength Points, and difficulty classes to cast a spell. Whenever you rolled to cast a spell, you'd add you magical strength to the roll. It would result in either casting it without cost, cast it with the effort reducing your strength, failing to cast, or catastrophic failure. You could splat simple spells all day and rarely, if ever, run down your strength. On the other hand, a low level wizard could try to cast a high level spell ... and if they were very lucky succeed. Or, they could blow up.

It was a fine system. It just wasn't D&D. It felt very different. I have not used it in a long time.

Dausuul

Legend
This is the rule in my game as well. It works well for us. My players don't give a darn about party balance and don't care if the sorcerer can cast a lot of higher level spells by giving up casting lower level spells. If the sorcerer runs out of spell points, they also don't pity him when he's reduced to casting cantrips in later encounter.
Sorcerers tend to be on the underpowered side anyway, so IMO this is the perfect adjustment. It makes the class really distinctive, gives it a needed boost relative to other spellcasters, and simplifies resource management.

nyvinter

Adventurer
I disagree. You just need to give them a different spell point progression.

That gets you the same output as the default warlock if you always cast at the highest level you can, and gives warlocks the ability to cast at lower levels if they want to, which might help them out especially in games where you can’t reliably get the expected number of short rests.
This is great! Thank you. The Warlock's "fewer spell slots but always higher power" looks good on paper but the spell list is horrible at utilising this.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I'm curious as to how well they worked for you, especially at higher levels. BONUS: what do you think of – instead of spell slots or spell points – using a spellcasting roll to see if a spell works or not?
We have used them for Sorcerers only to separate from other casters. The Sorcery Points are kept separate and a number equal to your charisma modifier are regained after a short rest

Remove ads