D&D General Appendix EN+ :. What movies, books, and comics inspire your for D&D?

Comic: Legion of Superheroes - specifically the Levitz run. I saw large groups making subgroups with different make up each time could work, and for light level play.
Movie - Star Wars (the original before it was called a New Hope) - it had a huge impact on my life in general (I was 10 when it came out) - but the clear vision and voice, the huge stakes, good vs evil - that all spoke to me and had a huge impact on how I played and GMed.

Animated... I never really watched much of that when I was a kid (it was mostly Warner Bros Cartoons), so when I started watching long form animated shows I had my approach and tastes in gaming mostly set... But Yu Yu Hakusho was a great example of leveling up and switching from a mostly "real world" to "compleyely bonkers magical world" in growing the characters and story.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if I don't watch enough movies and TV, and that's why I don't have as many influences among them as books. I think I'd like Crouching Tiger and Princess Bride to influence my play... I just don't know if they have.

Last edited:

Xenophon223

Explorer
TV - The Magicians - Our current campaign is centered around the Royal University and I'm very inspired by this show's vibe. It's very much, American Harry Potter in grad school with everything that entails.
TV - The Musketeers - Possibly my favorite retelling of Dumas. Dashing sword play and court politics.
Movies - Raiders of the Lost Ark - the ultimate swashbuckling archaeologist goes perfectly with D&D.
Video Games - The Elder Scrolls series. So many good ideas to incorporate on an almost every game basis.
Animated - Bleach - Sentient swords with unlockable abilities - yes please!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
clash-of-the-titans-1981-presented-by-american-classic-art.jpg

heman.jpg

lastunicorn.jpg
legend-1985.png

timebandits.jpg

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Books/stories: The Seven Voyages of Sinbad, The Thousand And One Nights, Usama ibn Munqidh's Kitab al-I'tibar ("Book of Contemplation"), Ibn Battuta's Rihlah (lit. "Journey" or "Travelogue"), Ibn Khaldun's Muqaddimah (lit. "Lessons"). I strongly suspect there's also some elements of The Chronicles of Narnia in there, though without the unfortunate tone regarding Calormen (since all but one of the protagonists is a native of a region equivalent to Calormen).
Film: Believe it or not, John Carter of Mars, because even if it didn't do well it's got lots of good stuff in it; the Dollars trilogy of spaghetti westerns; to a certain extent the LotR films. Edit: Having seen the previous post, yeah, Flash Gordon probably plays a part.
Video games: Planescape: Torment, Final Fantasy XIV, Baldur's Gate I and II, to a certain extent Knights of the Old Republic 2: the Sith Lords (primarily for how it handles a much more nuanced, intelligent, and persuasive Dark Side via Kreia's criticism of the Light Side.)

I also adapted the very excellent The Gardens of Ynn by Emmy Allen into "the Garden-City of Zerzura," which I expanded to include an actual city in addition to the "outlying" gardens. Everything re-flavored to fit an Arabian Nights theme, naturally, though I kept the sidhe, just calling them "Shi" and leaving their origin and nature a mystery. My players actually managed to find a way to kill the Song of Thorns (my translated version of the Idea of Thorns, which was in fact a song and a spirit and a degenerative mind-virus, all in one), but the damage it has inflicted remains and will take centuries to repair. (Fortunately, they have friends on the inside who are quite happy to do just that.)

Last edited:

Remove ads