Arca Terra, Chapter One:

FloatingDisc

First Post
The sun is at its peak over the city, and everywhere merchants, slaves, nobles and labourers head for the dockside taverns and cafes to escape the stifling heat. String and wind music from the cafes mingles in the narrow cobbled alleyways, and the stench of the fishmarket down the street fills the air.

At one end of the street, two city guards of the Day Watch are arguing with a trader whose wagon is blocking access to an alley where a slave carting a rickshaw (literally filled with an obese nobleman) is trying to get past. A small crowd has gathered to watch, and generally shout and make noise. Lacerdan crowds love a bit of noise and, with a bit of luck, violence.

To your left, going on unnoticed by the majority, two thugs dressed in leathers and furs under dirty brown robes are menacing a tiny kobold in a tiny back alley.

One has the kobold's wrists held over his head in one hairy fist, while the other waves a shortsword in it's face. The kobold's meagre belongings, a bedroll, a small backpack and a sack of dried fruits, lie spilled on the ground.

The alley is two squares wide and eleven long. Corrin is at the end of the alley, standing in the main street looking in.

______________________|
|_|_|_|_|:eek:|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|:devil::rant:|_|_|_|_|_|_| :cool:
|

:eek: = kobold
:devil: & :rant: = thugs
:cool: = Corrin

This isn't an invitation to just launch into combat, just giving you the situation so you can make your own decision on how to react! Also, I probably won't make all combat encounters this way, I just thought it would be a simple way to map out a simple encounter.

(Feel free to use a different smily for Corrin by the way ;))

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock= Corrin's Sheet]Hm, I tried to send this to you in a PM but it took a really long time so I'm not sure if it worked. I have no idea how I failed to say this before and I'm really sorry I did, but I don't actually have the 4E books yet. I've been trying to get into a 4E game to test the system and see whether it's worth getting. This isn't to say that I just randomly picked your game and asked to join. I picked this one specifically because it looked like it would be very cool. Anyway, here's the character sheet if that isn't a major problem. He's one of the premade characters from one of the playtests. I'll try to get the background fixed up, quickly, but um, gotta question. What deity should Corrin worship? Luck is the important factor.

Name: Corrin Reedson
Class (level): Paladin 1
Race: Halfling
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Description: Stocky and muscular, tanned skin, very handsome, long dark hair, brown eyes

Abilities
Str 14 +2
Dex 12 +1
Con 12 +1
Int 9 -1
Wis 16 +3
Cha 16 +3

HP: 27
Bloodied: 13
Surge: 6 (11 per day)

Init: +1
Spd: 5 sq

Defenses
AC: 20
Fort: 13
Ref: 14
Will: 16

Attacks
Melee: Short Sword +5 1d6+2
Ranged: Throwing Hammer +3 1d6+2 5/10sq

Skills
Acrobatics -1
Arcana
Athletics -2
Bluff
Diplomacy* +8
Dungeoneering
Endurance
Heal* +8
History
Insight* +8
Intimidate
Nature
Perception +3
Religion +4
Stealth -3
Streetwise
Thievery
mark class skills with a *

Feats
Lost in the Crowd: +2 AC when adj. to two larger enemies

Various
Vision Normal
Languages Common, Elven
Bold: +5 vs. fear
Nimble Reaction: +2 AC vs. opportunity attacks
Second Chance
Channel Divinity
Lay on Hands

At-Will Powers
Bolstering Strike (Paladin Att 1)
AW - Divine, Weapon
Standard, Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Cha (+6), vs. AC
Hit: base damage (1d6+3), you gain 3 temp hp

Holy Strike (Paladin Att 1)
AW - Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Standard, Melee weapon
Attack: Str (+5), vs. AC
Hit: weapon damage (1d6+2) radiant, if marked +3 damage

Encounter Powers
Shielding Smite (Paladin Att 1)
Enc - Divine, Weapon
Standard, Melee weapon
Attack: Cha (+6), vs. AC
Hit: Double base, plus mod (2d6+3)
Effect: Until end of next turn, one ally within 5 sq gains cha (+3) power to AC

Daily Powers
On Pain of Death (Paladin Att 1)
Da - Divine, Implement
Standard, Ranged 5
Attack: Cha (+3), vs. Will
Hit: 3d8+cha (3d8+3), once per round takes 1d8 damage after making any attacks (save ends)
Miss: Half damage, once per round takes 1d4 damage after making any attacks (save ends)

Other Powers
Second Chance (Halfling Racial Power)
Enc
Immediate Interrupt, Personal
Effect: When attack hits you, can force enemy to reroll attack, takes the second roll

Lay on Hands (Paladin Feature)
AW (sp) - Divine, Healing
Special: Once per day
Minor, Melee touch
Effect: Spend healing surge, gain no hp, target regains hp as if it had spent a healing surge (+cha, +3)

Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle (Paladin Feature)
Enc - Divine
Minor, Close burst 10
Special: Can use divine mettle or divine strength once per encounter, but not both
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: Creature makes save with +3 bonus

Channel Divinity: Divine Strength (Paladin Feature)
Enc - Divine
Minor, Personal
Special: Can use divine mettle or divine strength once per encounter, but not both
Effect: Add str (+4) to next attack this turn

Divine Challenge (Paladin Feature)
AW - Divine, Radiant
Minor, Close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: Mark target (your mark supercedes previous), target remains marked until you use this power against another, or your fail to engage target, target can only have one mark at a time. Marked takes -2 to attack and 6 radiant damage if it makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target (max damage once per turn). You must engage (attack or end turn adj) mark, or challenge new target by end of turn, or cannot use Divine Challenge next turn. Can be used once per turn.

Equipment
Plate armor
Heavy shield
Short Sword
Throwing Hammers (x2)
Holy Symbol
Backpack
- Bedroll
- Flint and steel
- Sunrods (x2)
- Rations (10 days)
- Rope (50')
Belt Pouch (w/ valuables)
Waterskin

Valuables
pp:
gp: 5
sp:
cp:
other:

Description

Corrin is a bit stocky for a Halfling, fairly muscular, and very handsome. He has long dark hair, and tanned skin, and he wears a seemingly perpetual smile under his brown eyes. Most of this is usually very hard to see, thanks to his use of full plate armor.

Corrin has a friendly, seemingly carefree personality that servants of stuffier religions would likely find offensive. However, he always tries to maintain civility, even to his adversaries. He is not an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination, but has a good innate sense for things that often helps him where careful thought can’t or wouldn’t. He unfortunately has a rather bad weakness for members of the opposite sex, of most any race.

Background

No one would ever have believed Corrin could become a Paladin had they known him as a child. His parents, both adventurers had left him behind during one of their quests and were never seen again. At first he took to trying to steal for his survival, but after several getaways that seemed the results of pure luck, he decided that he needed to try things another way. He realized that it was in fact far safer, and far more efficient, to convince others to do the stealing for him. He formed a small gang of street urchins, who quickly became a menace to merchants throughout the poorer districts of the Lacerna, though he was always careful to keep their connections to each other from being too obvious.

To this day, he is unsure of just what happened that night, but it was so long ago that it likely no longer matters. By this point, his gang had become quite a bit larger, and he had become a young man, or well, Halfling. In any case, he and several compatriots were settled into their hideout, enjoying the day’s spoils. They had actually started to make some money out of this, rather than simply scraping by. They had invited over a few of ladies of ill repute from a nearby brothel and were having a good time, when a sudden loud knock came on the door. Everyone stopped to stare at the door, and after a moment there was another sound. The sound of an axe hacking into wood, and the sight of a metal blade coming through the door. The group stared for but a moment longer and then quickly panicked and ran for the back door. Corrin, with his short legs did not reach it first, and it saved his life. For as he watched, the door was smashed inwards, and a massive humanoid barged in, grabbing one of his friends by the head and tossing him aside like a ragdoll. Everyone was screaming, and Corrin is sure to this day that it was the intervention of the goddess of luck herself that got him out of there alive. He certainly doesn’t remember it. All he remembers is running over rooftops with wild abandon, and then falling through an open skylight into hot soapy water. He couldn’t breath. Was it the water, or was it because his face was buried in something soft and warm? He felt himself being lifted out of the water, and realized to his ( only slight) embarrassment, that he had disturbed a human woman in her bath. She looked at him with an expression halfway between anger and amusement, and it was fairly clear that she wasn’t quite sure what to think of the young Halfling who had just fallen face first onto her chest.

Corrin quickly came to the conclusion that his very survival might well depend on getting into this woman’s good graces, and that was one thing he was good at. Aside from her ridiculous height, she was pretty good looking too, so he figured he could get away with a bit of flattery even if she wasn’t as dumb as the women he usually associated with. He looked down at himself, sopping wet and soapy from head to toe, not that she was any less of either, but he was fully clothed and so somehow felt he looked a bit sillier. He looked back up at the woman and smiled sheepishly. “I do not know whether I should apologize, or thank Avandra for that stumble, my lady. It seems sure that The Lady of Luck herself ordained that I should fall through your ceiling and to be saved from certain doom by… your most exquisite form. My name is Corrin, Lady, I would be honored if you would share yours.”

The woman watched him curiously, having quickly covered herself with a towel once she had extricated the bewildered Halfling from between her bosoms. She smiled at his overdone flattery, perhaps because it amused her, perhaps because it sounded so sincere (And certainly, quite a bit of it was). “And what do you know of my mistress?” The lady asked, taking Corrin by surprise.

A priestess, this could be either very good, or very bad for him. In any case, he would have to use all of his charm, and show his piety. He did, quite well, and in the morning he was still alive, and had made a new and important acquaintance, one that would influence his life from then on. Sophia had gotten into his mind. Made him think of things in a way he never had before. She introduced him to one Sir Carell, a Paladin of the in service of Avandra and he too eventually became a Paladin in service of the goddess of luck.

He realized that the church had little for him to do once he become a full fledged knight, and he decided to find something on his own. He realized that the place that could benefit from his newfound power the most were the very slums in which he’d grown up. He explained the situation to his superiors in the order, and though they at first had some misgivings, he was as always very convincing, they eventually consented.
[/sblock]

The mighty Paladin steps boldly into the alleyway, frowning at the two oversized brutes. He clears his throat in what he'd hoped was an intimidating manner, but is disappointed to see the thugs fail to react in any way. He tries again with similar results and finally throwing his hands up in disgust calls out, "Ey there, what're you blokes up to?"

OOC: Just taking a step forward and talking.

Last edited:

FloatingDisc

First Post
Without turning to face Corrin, the thug holding the kobold up mutters in low, threatening tones:

"Leave it, runt. No point you gettin' gutted over some worthless sand lizard, is there? You just turn around and forget you what you seen!"

The kobold's eyes turn towards you and you see they are filled with fear, but also resignation. His lips begin to part, but he is silenced by the sword-weilding thug who closes the kobold's lower jaw with his sword tip.

The kobold swivels his bulging eyeballs towards you as he shrieks:

"Run, halfling! Save yourself!"

The sword wielding thug lashes out with an open-handed blow to the side of the kobold's head, stunning the poor creature. He then half-turns to face Corrin, warning him:

"Run away, boy! I won't tell ye again!"

(OOC - Avandra is the name of the luck diety in the PHB. Very popular with halflings. She is also associated with change, freedom, trade, travel, adventure and the frontier. Her three tenants are centred around being bold, fighting for liberty and positive change. Not sure what the rules/laws/whatever are regarding what I can tell you from those books, so I won't quote directly. Basically, she is the perfect choice IMO for your characte:] )

Dire Lemming

First Post
Corrin raises his left eyebrow incredulously. "Boy?! I'm thirty years old you behemoth!" He pauses and smiles at the man. "Oh, I see. Are you trying to scare me off or somethin'? I'm sorry, I've been a bit slow on the uptake ever since that blow to the head... Now why are you mugging this poor helpless kobold? Wouldn't you rather be leading decent honest lives or helping the needy or something? Think of the cute little baby Kobolds who may go hungry just because you couldn't be bothered to get a job. Their beady little eyes bulging with excitement as their daddy- ... or mommy come home, only to find out that they'll have to go hungry just because two humans were lazy."

OOC: Updated my character's background to hopefully fit a bit better. Mostly just fixed the name of the deity, but also some typos and generally tried to make it flow better. If you read it again and find anything glaringly inconsistent with the setting, please tell me and I'll set about fixing it right away.

Last edited:

FloatingDisc

First Post
The thug with the sword turns fully now, giving you his full attention. His face twists with effort as he tries to make sense of what Corrin is saying. He says to his companion:

" 'Ere, Bockum, what's this lad saying'? 'E looks like a wee lad but the words comin' out of 'im is all grown-up like. I fink maybe 'e's one of dem halfling folks, what d'you reckon?"

"I reckon you should shut up and gut the little blighter, you bloody fool, Wattock! Don't muck about, though, we're in a hurry!"

Wattock nods in approval of his companion's suggestion, and idly begins to toss the short sword between his hands as he crouches into a fighting stance and grins at Corrin wickedly.

OOC - Wattock the brawny rogue uses a standard action to use Total Defence, gaining +2 to all defences until the beginning of his next turn. He is waiting to see if his threatening antics are enough to scare Corrin away before committing to any action.

With the weapon taken out from under his nose, the kobold attempts to wriggle free of Bockum's grasp.

(Kobold makes an Athletics check vs. Fortitude and rolls a 19 + athletics score of 8 for a total of 27, which beats Bockum's Fortitude defense of 11.)

The kobold flips backwards out of Bockum's grasp and lands crouched on the cobbled ground. He deftly reaches into his bedroll which his assailants had strewn in the alley and produces a short sword of his own! Bockum and the kobold square off, murder in both their eyes...

(Roll initiative! Kobold gets 23, Bockum gets 24, Wattock gets 16.)

Dire Lemming

First Post
OOC: Hm, I guess it would make sense to say that Corrin wasn't wearing his plate armor at the moment. :p

Just my luck, Corrin gets the lowest init out of everyone. Then again, the guy is just waiting for him to act so I guess it won't be a problem yet. 13

Oh wait, that means it's my turn right?

Corrin frowns at the human as he draws his own sword and readies his shield. "Look Wattock... Why don't you just put the sword away and I'll treat you to a drink. I'm sure after a few pints this whole thing'll be a distant memory."

And I don't like the idea of beating up the mentally impaired.

Last edited:

FloatingDisc

First Post
(OOC - Okay, that makes sense, I guess you wouldn't really be walking around in the scorching heat in plate, would you? :p)

The kobold sees you ready yourself for action, and is emboldened by having an ally! Facing off with the thug, Bockum, he feints with his dagger, luring the man forwards, then deftly sommersaults to the side and slashes at his exposed ribs!

(OOC - The kobold uses an at-will power, Deft Strike, to position himself, and deals 10 (1d6+4) damage to Bockum.

Bockum yelps as the blade scrapes across his ribs, and clutches his stricken side. "You're gonna pay for that, scaly!" he says as he produces a mace from the sash at his waist. With a roar he lashes out with the mace, but the kobold deftly ducks the wild blow which glances off the stone wall.

(OOC - Bockum uses a minor action to draw a weapon, then uses his mace to do a regular attack, +4 vs. AC. He rolls 11 for a total of 15, which misses the kobold's AC of 16.)

Wattock is using Total Defense this turn, waiting to see what you'll do. He calls out tauntingly "Come on then, runty! Let's see what you're made of!"

FloatingDisc

First Post
______________________|
|_|_|_|_|:eek:|:rant:|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|:devil:|_ |_|_|_|_ |:cool:

:eek: = kobold
:devil: = Bockum
:rant: = Wattock
:cool: = Corrin

I don't think I'll be using this method of map making much longer, you can see how distorted it's getting already! I'll come up with something else in time for the next encounter, but hopefully this will suffice for now ;)

Feel free to copy and paste it, showing where you move etc.

Dire Lemming

First Post
______________________|
|_|_|_|_|:eek:|:rant:|_|:cool:|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|:devil:|_ |_ |_ |_|_|_|

Corrin approaches Wattock closer, though still keeps some distance. The kobold seems to be handling him/herself quite well so he's not sure he needs to start cutting him just yet. "You sure you don't want a drink Wattock? Last chance..." he says tauntingly.

Last edited:

Remove ads