Arcana of The Ancients: 5E Sci-Fantasy From Monte Cook Games Launches On KS

Monte Cook Games' 5E "Science Fantasy Sourcebook", Arcana of the Ancients, has launched on Kickstarter.

a85679dec8265e58ed2e2efe15e18765_original.jpg

"Arcana of the Ancients is a sourcebook for 5th edition players and GMs to bring the wonders of mysterious technology and weird science-fantasy elements to their traditional fantasy campaigns. Designed by Monte Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, and Sean K. Reynolds, all of whom have years of professional design experience working on the world's most popular roleplaying game, this gorgeously illustrated hardcover sourcebook gives you everything you need to add a whole new element to your 5E game."

It's $50 for the hardcover, or $20 for the PDF. If you want to play Numenera with the 5E rules, this looks like the way you'd do that.

Hey folks!

We're so excited for this project. For years we've been asked when Monte, Bruce, and Sean might return to the world's most popular role-playing game. Especially with Monte's involvement in 5E design, it's an absolute delight to be bringing this team back to their roots, having trained on the mountain of Numenera prior-world weirdness for several years.

If you're looking for more behind the project, Matt Miller of Game Informer interviewed Monte Cook about his experience with D&D and what he's looking forward to in this new endeavor.

We hope you join us on this adventure, and find great use out of the bizarre creatures, tech, abilities, and adventures in Arcana of the Ancients!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hey folks!

We're so excited for this project. For years we've been asked when Monte, Bruce, and Sean might return to the world's most popular role-playing game. Especially with Monte's involvement in 5E design, it's an absolute delight to be bringing this team back to their roots, having trained on the mountain of Numenera prior-world weirdness for several years.

If you're looking for more behind the project, Matt Miller of Game Informer interviewed Monte Cook about his experience with D&D and what he's looking forward to in this new endeavor.

We hope you join us on this adventure, and find great use out of the bizarre creatures, tech, abilities, and adventures in Arcana of the Ancients!

Is that you, Charles? :)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Not gonna lie, this is probably the first kickstarter I'm going to actually back. I'm curious to see what the list of stretch goals is.

I'll also second @Dire_Bare's request; that would definitely be my preferred backer level.

shadowva

First Post
Been waiting for this to drop, already in. Seeing the Goodman Games announcement this morning about bringing Barrier Peaks to 5E, I wish they would collaborate and use the same technology rules.

Matthan

Explorer
I feel like there is a lot of stuff missing for this launch. I can't find a projected page count for the book for example. I understand they want to hold stretch goals close to their chest, but they aren't even mentioning the first one or two to give a sense of the scale that they're looking at to make these higher pledges worthwhile. Dire Bare mentioned that there isn't any pledge level to give you the print of the main book and the pdfs of the stretch goals which seems like a glaring oversight. You could say that it would be an add-on, but they don't have any costs for those listed (though I saw some numbers in the comments).

It just feels like this campaign needed a little more time to prep. I've never backed one of their KS campaigns before, but I know they have a good reputation in the community. This feels like putting the wrong foot forward for new customers though. I guess I'll check back in towards the end to see if it makes more sense then.

I feel like there is a lot of stuff missing for this launch. I can't find a projected page count for the book for example. I understand they want to hold stretch goals close to their chest, but they aren't even mentioning the first one or two to give a sense of the scale that they're looking at to make these higher pledges worthwhile.

This was my impression as well. At least have one or two stretch goals, especially since they will be hitting their $50,000 goal soon, it seems. And since they've done KS before, they should have been aware of how fast $50,000 would be reached.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases