• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Sword Epic Destiny- Auto-Win?

Kinneus

Explorer
I'm not getting how a 24th level Swordmage with the Arcane Sword epic destiny can lose a fight.

Once per day when you die, your sword fights on in your stead until the end of the encounter. What's more, the sword can't be the target of attacks.

Now, since it's 'when you die' and not 'when you are reduced to 0 hit points', an enemy could prevent this from activating by keeping the swordmage unconcious (forever?). Also, the 'once per day' caveat limits it somewhat. But if this power is activated, it seems like the swordmage is destined to win. This un-attackable sword fights until the end of the encounter, after all. Even if it's a grindfest, the immortal sword will continue shaving away at enemy HP until all are dead or flee, at which point the swordmage will return to life.

It gives me a rather funny image of Orcus or Demogorgon constantly swatting at a longsword that follows him around. "Oh, just ignore it. It comes and goes. A mortal tried to slay me last month, and his blade just doesn't know how to give up the fight."

Anyway, this seems like a poorly-written power, especially when set side-by-side with the 'Archlich's Phylactery' and 'Mastery over Death' catch-22 on the opposite page. I'd personally fix it with either DM fiat ("As your last ally falls, the magic keeping your blade fighting eventually fails as well. TPK. Sorry, dudes.") or by changing it to "Once per day, when you reduced to 0 hit points but not dead". Still very useful, but it gives surviving monsters a chance to stop the rampaging blade by slitting your character's throat.

It does need fixing though, right? Is there something I'm not seeing here?

Last edited:

im_robertb

First Post
I'd say that for the purposes of 'end of the encounter', the sword does not count as a threat. Meaning, if all of the swordmage's allies are dead or have fled, the fight is over, and the sword returns to the swordmage, restoring him to 1 hp...while surrounded by enemies. A swordmage who for some reason has a decent Bluff check might be able to survive this situation, and, once the enemies leave, grab a buddy or two and get out.

Solodan

First Post
Encounter only lasts 5 minutes at most. So yes, that sword could kill someone, but if the enemies win (i.e. TPK) you're only going to be able to chase down and kill 2 or 3 before the magic wears off - and it doesn't matter, it is still a TPK.

isd

First Post
If everyone in the party is dead or KOed the fight is over. You return to life and have no second use of the power until you have taken an extended rest. I don't see the problem with this, most ED give you a get out of jail free card or similar bonus.

Kinneus

Explorer
Hmm, I guess. But I think it would still be funny to send a full party of Arcane Swords against Orcus, and watch him try to fight off five untargetable magic blades.
Also, what about the Swordmage's mark? I'm guessing you wouldn't be allowed to use it in 'blade form'. The power says you can "move and attack" as normal. Does that exclude the Aegis? What about Utility powers?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Which then means you can't have powers trigger off it. That makes it worse!
Isn't it already unattackable?
I'd like to see you site that rule! Suddenly round 51 you can't use powers anymore because you're not in an encounter! Uh oh!

I think perhaps he meant to say that effects with a duration of "until the end of the encounter" only last 5 minutes. At least that's the closest rule I can think of, and it's certainly directly applicable.

eriktheguy

First Post
Lol, this is an interesting find. In any case I would rule the encounter over after a TPK, even if the sword is still there. Otherwise the monsters retreat (ending the encounter) and return (to finish the sword-dude), or they just hang around for 5 mins.

I would definitely rule that the encounter is over if the party falls.

Remove ads