D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The Plant/Tree/Flower Druid. I am actually shocked that we haven't seen a UA attempt at it, it seems like such an obvious thing.

Yes, I am aware of the Circle of Spores. But mushrooms aren't plants and those guys are more like anti-druids to begin with.

Other than that, I am down with the Generalist Wizard, and Wearcreature/Warp spasm Barbarian,

Remathilis

Legend
Shi'ar wizard

Wu Jen

Cosmic Sorcerer

Werewolf/Weretiger Druid or Barbarian

Vampiric Sorcerer

Warlord Fighter

Jester Bard

Urban Druid

Kraken Pact Warlock

Psychic Warrior Fighter

Soul Knife Rogue

Ardent Bard

Wilder Sorcerer

Dragon Shaman Druid

Yes to all of these and a few more,

Dancer/Dervish Bard

Witch/Witchcraft Wizard or Druid

Mystic (as in the 2e class) Cleric or Druid

An Earth, Water, and Fire Sorcerer classes to match the Storm Sorcerer (but aren't just palette swaps/keyword changes)

BigBadDM

Explorer
I agree with Crawford here, most of the 'standard' tropes are covered. Reading this list of archetypes in this thread kind of reiterates this. While a lot of the suggested ideas in the thread are good, I would not consider them 'standard' tropes.

The plant druid was a good idea above though, surprised that one hasn't been done.

If I would pick a standard trope (pretty much present in every literature) not expressed, maybe:
the henchmen/side-kick

I've always wanted a "physical transformation/body horror" Barbarian archetype.

Two for Bards I can think of are a College of Dirges (necromancy focused) and College of Hymns (psuedo Cleric basically). I've seen both in homebrew (even made one of them myself), but having official stuff is always nice.

A Chaos-esque domain for Clerics has been mentioned, and one that I would like (I think Order fits for Law, and maybe Trickery works for Chaos, but it's a loose fit.) Another domain I'd like to see is Travel, but that's more personal preference then anything.

This is more gameplay than story, but a dedicated Blaster Druid would be nice to have.

A Throwing based Paladin would be neat, just don't really know how you would tie that to an oath.

I would like an Undead sorcerous origin, maybe have it leech life and turn it into sorcerer points?

Noble Genie Warlock is one that I am honestly surprised hasn't even been mentioned by WotC.

For a new class, I'm always gonna want a Summoner like in Pathfinder, though that might just be because I'm a big fan of Persona and want some of that in D&D.

One kinda unrelated but I want is a Fighting Style for using Versatile weapons with two hands.

That's what I can think of now.

• Oath of Liberty/Freedom Paladin (basically expanding on the Holy Liberator concept)
  • Thug/Enforcer Rogue (STR-based, allowing Sneak Attack with additional weapons including bludgeoning, maybe some enhanced grappling ability)

Yeah, just give me these two and we'll be all set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree with Crawford here, most of the 'standard' tropes are covered. Reading this list of archetypes in this thread kind of reiterates this. While a lot of the suggested ideas in the thread are good, I would not consider them 'standard' tropes.

The plant druid was a good idea above though, surprised that one hasn't been done.

If I would pick a standard trope (pretty much present in every literature) not expressed, maybe:
the henchmen/side-kick

I think there is a lot of low hanging fruit for the Sorcerer and Warlock still left to pick, but, yeah: most of the ideas in this thread are either narratively esoteric or mechanics driven.

Nonmagical ranger
Doesn't the scout do this? Or do you mean with a pet? Whatever way you did it it would have to use a class other than ranger as it's basis.

Witch hunter paladin
Yes! I knew I was missing something.

Improvised weapon monk
The drunken master really should have done this. I have houseruled that drunken masters treat improvised weapons as monk weapons.

Remove ads