D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

I think there is a lot of low hanging fruit for the Sorcerer and Warlock still left to pick, but, yeah: most of the ideas in this thread are either narratively esoteric or mechanics driven.

Yup, I do wish people would stick to the original premise of the thread: "what core concepts are missing" rather than "what whacky idea can I come up with". Both 2nd and 3rd edition (and pathfinder) descended into wackiness in order to sell books, and every "nethermancer*" proposed weakens the strength of the core argument.

*Judging by the name, I assume this is a wizard who is an expert in talking out of their nether regions.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@gyor, some of these I recognize as earlier classes, but not enough to understand the archetype they are covering. Others I'm just not sure. For example, besides that they'd be mortal enemies, what are an Arborist Ranger and a Lumberjack Ranger?

For those not familiar, can you talk about your favorites of these from a conceptual level as opposed to a mechanical level. In other words, tell us the architype a Glorious Servitor Paladin covers, give an example character from some non-D&D source that needs it to be built.

jgsugden

Legend
Well, the psionic concepts are an obvious omission. The Jedi, the Telepath, the Telekinetic, etc...

Beyond that, I do not think we have adequate rules to build the following character concepts:

* The cerebral warrior, using knowlege of physiology, physics, etc... rather than strength or dexterity, to be effective.

* The staff and robe priest that calls down plagues, evocations and holy wrath. Cleric falls short of this idea that was covered well by the invoker in 4E.

* The Summoner - we have a lot of attempts, but the PC that uses summoning as their bread and butter from evel 1 to 20 is missing.

* Mad Scientist - We'll see if the new class covers this well enough, but an intelligence based class that uses science as effectively as a wizard uses magic would be a huge gap to fill.

akr71

Hero
TBH I'm happy with the number of archtypes we've got. In fact in some ways I think we have too many. However, upon skimming this thread, there are a couple that would be really cool. Specifically these:

Barbarian: "tooth and claw" physically transformed when raging. Goes back to the original Norse ber-serkir who where believed to literally transform into bears. In literature, Beorn in The Hobbit.

Monk: 1/3 caster of cleric spells. Sacred Fist (3rd edition). And I think there was something of this sort in Oriental Adventures (I haven't read it since the 80s so my memory is hazy).

Warlock: Pact of The Ancient Dragon. Also, It would be nice to have something other than chain/book/blade pact gifts.

My daughter played an Ancient Dragon Warlock from a home brew I found here.

I know many folks would really like an official psionics class and an artificer, so it would be nice if they' get that done.

The only archtype missing that I would like to play is a strength based Rogue. I want to sneak attack with a blackjack or club of some type.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases