D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

Mister-Kent

Explorer
I was reading Keith Baker's Site, and he mentioned a class that had been considered for Eberron, the Journeyman.

One of the reasons I do enjoy Sorcerers so much is that they can play the reluctant adventurer, power is their birthright, but it's not like the other spellcasters that have pursued their power, made it their profession.

And while DnD has always made PCs the heroes, it might be fun to play the Xander, or heck, a Doctor's Companion. I could imagine a DnD campaign with an Artificer and their magical box and a bunch of Journeymen that got caught up in the ride.

Journeyman sounds interesting! I was just going to say, in Old School Revival circles there were some classes based on Alice or Dorothy, an unexpected hero who perserveres through mostly charm and much good luck - the Journeyman sounds like a matured take on that and could even combine elements.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Journeyman sounds interesting! I was just going to say, in Old School Revival circles there were some classes based on Alice or Dorothy, an unexpected hero who perserveres through mostly charm and much good luck - the Journeyman sounds like a matured take on that and could even combine elements.
Ok so I think about the author in Romancing the Stone... I am strange

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
And while DnD has always made PCs the heroes, it might be fun to play the Xander, or heck, a Doctor's Companion. I could imagine a DnD campaign with an Artificer and their magical box and a bunch of Journeymen that got caught up in the ride.

I've played the sidekick before - actually that was my halfling bard in the last campaign that finished up. Who was loads of fun. It doesn't take a class, or really any mechanical support though it's likely easier to fit in with a support character who makes other characters shine even more.

Yaarel

He Mage
I was reading Keith Baker's Site, and he mentioned a class that had been considered for Eberron, the Journeyman.

One of the reasons I do enjoy Sorcerers so much is that they can play the reluctant adventurer, power is their birthright, but it's not like the other spellcasters that have pursued their power, made it their profession.

What would the stats of the Journeyman be? Is this the classless class?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The Journeyman
1d8+Con Hp
Prof: Simple Weapons, Improvised Weapon
Saves: Con, Cha
Skill: 3 of your choice, 2 tools

1: Better Part of Valor: Hide/Disengage as a Bonus Action
Unassuming Defense: Creature have disadvantage when trying to track or spot you. AC is 13+Dex.
Archetype: Beast Handler, Brawler, Scholar
2: Helpful: Bonus Action Help
3: Specialty: double prof with 1 skill and 1 tool
4: ASI
5: Extra Attack
6: Extra ASI
7: Archetype Feature
8: ASI
9: Lucky Dodge: as a reaction roll 1d6, on a 5-6, attack miss.
10: Specialty: double prof with 1 skill and 1 tool
11: Archetype Feature
12: ASI
13: Elusive: Cannot be restrained, speed cannot be less than 10 while conscious.
14: Extra ASI
15: Everlasting Hope: Immune to fear. 1/day, as a reaction when fall under 0, all allies within 30' make a Cha save against DC 15. Fall to 1 HP and gain 5 THP per ally who make the save.
16: ASI
17: Archetype Feature
18: Contagious Success: When succeed on a roll, all allies within 30' gain 1d4 bonus to next roll.
19: ASI
20: Comrade Succor: Ally within 10' can use your skill modifiers when making a roll instead of theirs.

Undrave

Legend
Can't disagree, but in it's 2-year tenure, the Warlord did not establish itself as a "standard D&D trope" - indeed, given the edition war controversy, it's probably the opposite ... whatever the opposite of a trope would be?

You say that, but if you look at old DnD we had things like followers, noble titles and the Leadership feat. Seems to me like the 'Mundane Leader of Man' is an archetype that was always THERE.

The Warlord simply gave you mechanics that, instead of making you deal with a bunch of random NPCs, made you interact with the other players instead. It gave you actual mechanics to support the concept.

Battlemasters, and to an extant the Mastermind, are vaillant efforts but feel more like one of the MC-like Archetype we've mentionned befoe. Like the Battlemaster and Mastermind are to the Warlord what the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are to the Wizard... except they didn't print the Warlord.

Vael

Legend
What would the stats of the Journeyman be? Is this the classless class?

I would imagine that the Journeyman is a little like a Factotum from 3.5 meets the Lucky Feat expanded to a class. The Journeyman has a pool of ... let's call them Luck Points. They can always expend a point to grant advantage on a save, or disadvantage on an attack targeting them. As they level, they can expend Luck points to briefly simulate/replicate abilities of other classes; casting spells, but also gaining Sneak Attack, Channel Divinity, and so on.

Remove ads