D&D 5E Ardents in 5e

BobTheNob

First Post
The Ardent?

Isnt the only reason that class even existed to to give a nice psionic fit for 4e's tank/striker/leader/controller and pisonics didnt have a "leader" class?

Really, given 5e doesnt have formal roles, why would you want to resuscitate this class? Nail the Psion, make the "ardent" a specialization.

gyor

Legend
Ardent wouldn't fit as Psion, it'd be like trying to make a bard using a wizard.

Ardent were made to fill a niche in the Role/Power source grid, but unlike others doing that duty, the fluff and features were awesome and flavourful.

I do admit that most of the powers themselves with a few exceptions were wtf moments and did not fit the basic flavour of the class itself.

Here's my attempt at a 5e Ardent class.

Features:

Mantle: Ardents both feels and see the emotions around them and how they connect and influence each other. Using his own passions he can take this emotions and connection and both weave them together into a field of psionic emotional energy and alter the emotions and connections. Each Ardent has an emotion that defines them more then others and that emotion taints thier Mantle.

Emotions: Ecstasy all allies and Ardent gain a bonus to bluff and diplomacy checks.

Rage Add Charisma to Indimadation and Atheletic checks.

Optimism Add Charisma to Diplomacy and Heal checks

Despair Add Charisma to Slieght of hand and Stealth checks

Love Add Charisma to Perception and Diplomacy checks.

Madness Add Charisma Bluff and Forbidden Lore checks.

Patterns: Patterns are special powerful alterations to you mantle. Patterns are hard to hold for long so extra psionic power is needed. Patterns have a power point cost dependant on the level of Pattern. Patterns buff someone in the Ardents mantle by focusing psionic energy on them or harm someone in the mantle. Some examples latter.

Power Points Pool: Both your own and the emotions of those in your mantle become converted into the psionic energy that powers and shapes your mantle. As such it is capable of holding in its matrix concetrations of Psionic energy call power points. This is a pool of power that the Ardent can draw on to temporaly improve his mantle.

Empath: An Ardent knows the emotional state of any character in his mantle who is not protected from his abilities by magic. A target of Empathy can make a Charisma save to block the Empath or a Bluff check to give a false impression.

Biofeedback: You send powerful Psionically enhanced emotions surging through someone, kicking in thier natural healing abilities into high gear via thier brain and nervious system or equivlant. Heals 1d6 plus charisma damage per power point spent.

This idea will evolve. Like each mantle emotion will have an attack bonus ability for the Ardent that is always on, part of thier mantles natural shape.

drothgery

First Post
The Ardent?

Isnt the only reason that class even existed to to give a nice psionic fit for 4e's tank/striker/leader/controller and pisonics didnt have a "leader" class?

Really, given 5e doesnt have formal roles, why would you want to resuscitate this class? Nail the Psion, make the "ardent" a specialization.
No, the Ardent existed in 3.5 too; it was in Complete Psionic.

gyor

Legend
In 3.5 the Adent was a philospher, not an Empath, but he still had Mantles, although,they worked differently. Personally I liked the 4e Ardent better, but the philospher verison would be good for Planescape campaign.

And stop trying to force feed everything into specialities, the machanics are too big, too major to be force fed into a a couple of feats. Its just like they said about the Barbarians Rage Mechanic, only for the Ardents Mantle.

triqui

Adventurer
Exactly!

The Sorcerer/Warlock action was definitely to appease the "wha, wha, I won't play 5th Ed if I can't play a non-Vancian Wizard!" malarkey.

That crowd has exactly the same rights to be appeased than the "wha, wha, I won't play 5th edition if I can´t play a Vancian Wizard" crowd. No more, no less.

Steely_Dan

First Post
That crowd has exactly the same rights to be appeased than the "wha, wha, I won't play 5th edition if I can´t play a Vancian Wizard" crowd. No more, no less.

I don't agree, the Wizard has been Vancian for over 30 years (not some D&D Miniatures variant Heinsoo & Co. came up with 4 years ago), even in 4th Ed, as all classes are, so what's the problem?

Mod note: Edition warring, again? This is a fast way to exit a thread, folks. Don't follow this example. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

triqui

Adventurer
I don't agree, the Wizard has been Vancian for over 30 years (not some D&D Miniatures variant Heinsoo & Co. came up with 4 years ago), even in 4th Ed, as all classes are, so what's the problem?

That's a so cheap low troll attempt to edition war, that no answer would make this a constructive conversation.

Ardent as a class is something I feel has a good chance of not appearing in 5e, yet I'm confident the Battlemind/Psychic Warrior will appear.

And I feel if anything Ardent might be a more "leaderish" focus of the Battlemind, if it doesn't become an outright specialty. Though if there isn't an Ardent specialty I'm absolutely confident there will be an Empath specialty, that so many wanted the Ardent to be.

gyor

Legend
If you take out a couple of feature like the Ardent's mantle and the Battleminds mind spike their basically the same class with different primary stats. Both kind of have a Jedi Knight feel, especially with the Unseelie Agent Theme. I could see the two classes combined, but I'd want the Mantle kept. And call it something better then Psyic warrior or Battlemind. No more people calling it warbrain :D

Both had lots in common each other as weapon using classes and pp users. Psions had only had pp use in common. Monks not even that.

How about this call the class Mentalists with An Empath (Adent like options) and Champion (Battlemind/Pyschic Warrior) builds (like domains for clerics).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases