• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are ELADRIN attribute bonuses the MOST USELESS?

Seolfor

First Post
Hello.

I wanted to ask the community - considering how INT and DEX now pretty much overlap i.e.

- Higher of both provides bonus to AC (with Light or No armor)
- Higher of both provides bonus to REFLEX Defence

The ONLY benefit of having high scores in both is some benefits to few SKILLS.

WORSE - no class, no build, needs high scores in BOTH INT and DEX. Rogues and Rangers are the two classes that require high DEX, but both get absolutely NO benefit from a high INT.

The Wizard needs a high INT and gets a minor, ONCE per encounter, attack bonus from high DEX, IF they use wands.

So is it just me or did Eladrins get the shaft with an attribute bonus is TWO VERY REDUNDANT categories i.e. INT and DEX?

Compare that with Dragonborns ... Paladins, Clerics, Warlords, Rogues ... ALL benefit highly from high STR + CHA.

Comments ...

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I believe I've seen one of the developers mention that yes, Eladrin stat bonuses are a bit weaker than others, which is why they got a pretty powerful power in Fey Step. Might have been the design notes for the Warforged (who also have two stat bonuses related to the same defense, Str and Con).

Seolfor

First Post
Question about the Eladrin encounter power - does it attract Opportunity attacks?

Might have been the design notes for the Warforged (who also have two stat bonuses related to the same defense, Str and Con).

The difference here is that CON is useful across the board - higher HPs, higher surge heal, MORE surges ... Its ONLY redundant for FORT saves.

Fighters would LOVE Warforged.

Branduil

Hero
Yeah to be honest a Wand Wizard is really the only optimal choice for an Eladrin.

I think +2 Con, +2 Int would have been a better design.

keterys

First Post
Dex gives a bonus to Initiative, opens up some feat options.

Teleporting (ie, Fey Step) does not provoke.

The Eladrin also gets a +1 to Will as a result of his two stats being like that, which is a decent chunk of the benefit you'd get if it had a +2 in an off stat instead.

generalhenry

First Post
the only race with worse stats is humans.

Humans get +1 to all defenses
Eladrin get +1 will

in other words yes the designers did take note.

Cadfan

First Post
Oh, for crying out loud. If Eladrin had a bonus to something other than dex, they'd lose +1 initiative in exchange for +1 to a defense and whatever else that stat grants. We're talking about a tiny, tiny difference on one defense out of four, with respect to a race that is loaded with useful abilities.

Yes, getting dex and int is slightly weaker than getting, say, int and wis. Slightly weaker. A tiny, tiny bit weaker.

Seolfor

First Post
Valid point about the bonus to initiative with DEX (that INT doesnt provide). And, i overlooked the +1 to Will Saves .. the designers clearly did take notice.

BUT ....

We're talking about a tiny, tiny difference on one defense out of four, with respect to a race that is loaded with useful abilities.

Yes, getting dex and int is slightly weaker than getting, say, int and wis. Slightly weaker. A tiny, tiny bit weaker.

No - youre wrong, so cry out all you want .. hehe, first, calm down.

Second here's WHY youre wrong - Yes, in the absolute sense, were talking about a TINY +2 attribute difference (or +1 bonus difference). But the question is NOT of the absolute difference ... E.g. The difference between a 16 INT Eladrin and a 18 INT ELF is NOT a tiny +2 to attributes. Its a significant ELEVEN points in a 22 point-buy system .... Your race and class choice is effecting 50% of your point-buy .... would you call that TINY?

Further, once youve created your character, for the same reason as above, the +1 to two attributes, which you get on every 4ish levels, SENSE would demand you allocate them to your highest two stats.

Hence, once a class/race is selected, your two important stats are going to define your character's efficiency for MOST of your adventure lifetime. Now ofcourse, Role-playing sub-optimal builds is not exactly a crime, so this isnt to say that NO ONE should play Eladrins as anything but Wizards!

But from a balance perspective, dont belittle the +2 bonuses that the various races get ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads