Are knowledge skills worth it?

Jeph

Explorer
In the game I play in, the GM allows one situation to be covered by multiple different Knowledge skills, and asks for Knowledge checks frequently. When a check is called for, he'll often ask the player if they have any skill that they think applies to the topic at hand.

--Jeff

shilsen

Adventurer
As a number of people have already said, it depends on how much use the DM makes of it. I tend to make substantial use of them and encourage my players to bring up knowledge skills in any situation they think might be relevant, whether I ask for a check or not.

freebfrost

Explorer
Crothian said:
I love handouts, I want to use more in my own games but players complain and loose them... :(

I had the same problem, until I picked up a nice bulletin board that I put up near the table. Then it became a game where everyone wanted to be the one who got to search the board first...

At least they were more enthusiastic about it, and we never lost a handout after that!

Psion

Adventurer
KnowTheToe said:
IMO, the current Knowledge skills are way too specific.

Wierd. I think they are rather general, and I disdain efforts by third party publishers to create more. And I appreciate in 3.5 that they capped the number of skills.

I allow characters 1 specialization topic per rank. For questions that require specialization, you get +2 or more bonus if you have the specialization, -2 or more if you don't. The specialization adds more detail to the knowledge skill array without forcing you to split you skill points further.

Edit: I also at one time conceived handing out one "knowledge card" per rank, with campaign pertinent facts on them, to help ground the character (and player) in the game more and give them a handle to roleplay. Alas, this took more time than I can currently afford.

Kashell

First Post
I personaly do not use Knowledge (Local). It's very useless to me. This has been replaced by Gather Information checks. (If this is the character's home town, he will still roll a gather information check, though he may not actually be asking other people.)

However, when writing up campaign sessions, I include alot of elements that hint at things, using (arcana) (religion) (history) and (planes).

A bit off subject, but my campaign includes alot of ship going, so Profession (Sailor) or knowledge (sailor) so I often ask for those checks when aboard boats and such.

Sometimes if characters have an obscure knowledge skill related to a different thing (such as swinging across an acid pit with a rope) I will allow the character to use the knowledge skill in place of the other check. So for example, a Knowledge (geography) check might help you steer the pirate ship (knowing about tides, winds, barrier reefs, etc.), but it won't help you swab the poop deck or pull the mizzensail to full.

The good thing about homebrew is that you can create your own stuff. Smart players don't know what you might pull. Anything can happen (and will).

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
Certainly, any knowledge skill that confers knowledge of a monster's powers and vulnerabilities is worth it, regardless of how hack and slash the game is; so, in my book, Nature, Arcana, Planes, Religion and Dungeoneering are absolutely worth it. And certainly the escalating DCs for higher HD creatures make continued investment worthwhile.

Also, it depends if you're also investing in the skill for which a synergy is conferred. If you're a bard with a maxed-out diplomacy skill, it is certainly worth getting 5 ranks in Know (Nobility and Royalty) to get another +2 bonus.

AIM-54

First Post
We've seen a pretty constant and important use of knowledge skills, especially as we've been forced to maneuver between various religious and political organizations as we've grown in level. Not to mention figuring out various magical effects and whatnot.

It's been pretty key to our decision-making, but presumably other types of campaigns might not require so much of the political stuff, but I can't imagine any game where they don't play a pretty significant complementary role.

Storminator

First Post
I use Knowledge skills as my way of volunteering info to the players. The more knowledge skills the PCs have, the more I explain what's going on. Never thought much about it.

Then this past weekend, I ran a game for a group of strangers, and it became incredibly clear how often I call for knowledge checks. I spent the first half of the adventure saying "gimme a knowledge local..." and the last half saying "... and you don't have any ranks in knowledge local..." ;)

PS

Kalendraf

Explorer
In my campaign, several of the knowledge skills see regular use. For example, in the last 2 sessions, there have been points where Arcane, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, and Religion knowledge checks provided useful information. The Nobility & Royalty one doesn't come up much for us, but it could if they were in a different location.

IMHO, the knowledge checks that provide information on various creatures seem to be the most useful ones for players.

MonsterMash

First Post
ForceUser said:
I even go so far as to write up information sheets containing esoteric information known only to sages in a particular knowledge skill--a player who drops 5, 10, or 15 ranks in a knowledge in my campaign will see tangible results when I hand him a piece of paper with hard, useful data on it. This, in turn, aids roleplaying, as players in the know share their knowledge with the rest of the party as the situation warrants. A player who feels like an expert on a topic is a happy player. I want that.
I like this idea so much I'm going to steal it.

For a low level cleric Knowledge(religion) can be useful for the +2 modifier on turning.

Remove ads