D&D General Are you a DM?

Have you DMd a game?

• I have DM’d a game

Votes: 252 99.6%
  • I have never DM’d a game

Votes: 1 0.4%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Most gamers don't use forums and I suspect many use more conventional social media like Facebook. In my own group ranging age 18-50+ with up to 12 in the entire phone tree think i am the only poster here on a regular basis and there is at least one other who was here for some time.
Morus has said that the age demographics here mirror WotC's, so there's that.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
YMMV, but I found 4e very DM-unfriendly. I loved it as a player, but trying to DM it, I felt a lot of pressure to stay within very rigidly prescribed guidelines. It’s probably partly because I was new to DMing at the time - I’m sure if I DMed a 4e game now I would feel a lot more confident running it and probably do a better job. But by comparison, 5e made me as a DM feel much more empowered. I say this as someone who still has a lot of love for 4e.
My experience has pretty much been the opposite. I feel like when running 4e, B/X, Stars Without Number, PF2, Apocalypse World, or Blades in the Dark I have all these tools to react to what the players have their characters do. When running 5e I felt alone in the wilderness and it was deeply unpleasant.

the Jester

Legend
Yes. I mostly dm, though I've been playing in a few games lately as well. Seeing how a classic cleric/fighter/magic-user multiclass works in 5e with one pc (so far so good, level 4) and trying out a rogue in the other (I love tactical options, and Cunning Action is absolutely the most tactical option for low level pcs).

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I've run D&D games on and off since the late '70s, and specifically have run 5E for a total of maybe 2 years of weekly games since January of 2017.

So YES. :cool:

Weiley31

Legend
Me: Looks at poll

Also Me: Um...is anyone on Enworld not a DM?
Meeeeeeeeee!!!!

But that's probably only cuz everytime I go "okay, time to start coming up with stuff" and then five mins later I'm "okay I'll start doing that next week."

Which is probably due to a combination of things. Although, yesterday I started jotting terms down for a 5E "Doom" esque game that I would like to run.

Weiley31

Legend
For the last 15 years, I've been DMing in one group, playing in another... but I rarely get to play what I want - I end up running the games I want to play :/

So 50/50 overall, but for D&D it's probably well over 50% DM by now.
This is why I want to DM cuz I have so many house rules that my 5E games are technically "pimped out" and I like it better that way.

My regular group plays by the rules mostly so it all balances outish in the end.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Only DMs so far!??! There must be an opportunity for an Advanced D&D 5e Player's Handbook that gives the classic D&D classes more player choice and options for character optimization at each level. Money to be made for the one that goes first!!!

Remove ads