D&D General Are you a DM?

Have you DMd a game?

• I have DM’d a game

Votes: 252 99.6%
  • I have never DM’d a game

Votes: 1 0.4%

dvvega

Explorer
I pretty much qualify as a "forever" DM. I have had stint at playing a Pathfinder Adventure Path (Strange Aeons) which is now finished, however I was still a DM during half of that for another group.

The minute I joined my first group (all newbies at school) I was thrust into the DM role without so much as a "please". However I found that it is what I really liked doing and so here I am, currently running 2 games - a Savage Worlds conversion of Strange Aeons (I enjoyed most of that AP), and a Savage Worlds game for my eldest son and some of his friends from school.

I also get to play once per fortnight - no DM should be devoid of playing, it lets them test things out from a character/player perspective, and perhaps learn a thing or three.

D

Kurotowa

Legend
See now, this is why the official surveys go into so many sub-questions like "How recently did you last DM a game?" Because sure, I've made a few tries to take a turn behind the DM Screen. The last time was 15 years ago. It's definitely some something I'm currently doing. But if you ask me if I've ever done it, then I have to say yes.

If I think about my current D&D group, there's only one person I don't know for certain has taken a turn running a game at one point in their gaming career. But we still tend to bounce between only two people as our DM, because everyone else was running for different groups or different systems and isn't interested in running a campaign right now. New jobs, new kids, they're just not able to take on the load.

So that's why it's important to realize that you've got a big bell curve of people who had done it at some point but aren't actively pursuing it today.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
Not a straightforward answer. I DMed AD&D back in the early '80s. Since then I've primarily GMed a number of games and groups over the years. I'll be DMing again in the near future for the first time in decades...but I've GMed other games a lot.

For the first 4 or 5 years after I started D&D I was strictly a player. Over time I became more and more interested in the increased creativity and control that DMing offers. Most of the last 40 years I've been overwhelmingly the DM. Often that was because there wouldn't BE an ongoing game if I wasn't the one organizing and running it. Yet, there were times when I'd been DMing for a long stretch that I REALLY wanted to have a break and just be a player - but couldn't get anyone else in the gaming group to step up. It's hard to find a balance if you actually enjoy both roles - player AND DM. When you're doing one, you quickly desire even more to do the other.

glass

(he, him)
Not a straightforward answer. I DMed AD&D back in the early '80s. Since then I've primarily GMed a number of games and groups over the years. I'll be DMing again in the near future for the first time in decades...but I've GMed other games a lot.
That seems to be pretty straightforwardly "yes", to the question as posed.

Anyway, I am kinda sad we lost the clean sheet.

_
glass.

Remove ads