• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you going to buy 5e?

Are you going to buy 5e?

• Yes, pre-ordered it

Votes: 135 48.6%
  • Yes, but haven't pre-ordered

Votes: 72 25.9%
  • No, but I might

Votes: 50 18.0%
  • No, it's not my kind of game

Votes: 21 7.6%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'll look at the books when they are out and then choose. They'll have to knock my socks off to cause a purchase though :)

It would be interesting if EnWorld is mostly 5e discussion, and one of it's admins won't even buy the PHB for it. Not that such a situation cannot work (I a sure it can), nor is it certainty that EW turns into a "mostly 5e discussion" board, but still I think it would be an interesting thing if it happened.

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It would be interesting if EnWorld is mostly 5e discussion, and one of it's admins won't even buy the PHB for it. Not that such a situation cannot work (I a sure it can), nor is it certainty that EW turns into a "mostly 5e discussion" board, but still I think it would be an interesting thing if it happened.

Surely you are not serious to suggest (or imply: I realise that the post was more passive-aggressive than to come out with a direct accusation) that there is a problem on these boards because an admin won't buy a PHB of an edition of D&D?

That's beyond farcical.

Yes, but not preordered.

I get it as soon as it hit the shelves, and DL basic as soon as it is available. Can´t wait.

I don´t buy on amazon if it is otherwise possible. I am old fashioned in that regard and I like my gaming shop in 10 min walking range.

Raith5

Adventurer

Wow. I think 5th edition has come to try to unify its players not subsume them.

I think there are quite a few people who dig the idea and execution of the basic game in 5e but are going to need to see a lot more the advanced module before being sold on the whole edition.

ggroy

First Post
I don't have any plans to buy any 5E/Next books, for at least a year or two.

I'll be taking a wait-and-see approach, largely to see whether the splatbook treadmill is started up again.

I'm trying to avoid jumping onto another "treadmill" that feeds into my "compulsive completionist" mindset. (I won't take the word of PR/marketing that the treadmill will not be started up again).

(In a year or two if I choose to start buying 5E/Next books, I would imagine most of the initial published 5E/Next paper books will still be available via amazon and/or offline bricks-and-mortar bookstores or gaming stores).

I'll also be watching the errata documents closely, to see what WotC does with it. (ie. Are subsequent printings of the paper books updated with errata? etc ....)

ggroy

First Post
My rationale for a possible 2+ years delay in buying ANY 5E/Next books, is that the announcements for 3.5E and 4E Essentials happened around the one-and-a-half to two-and-a-half year mark after the initial release of the original respective 3E or 4E core books.

IIRC, the earliest unofficial announcement I could find for 3.5E was around December 2002 (can't find a link offhand), while the earliest official announcement was on January 12, 2003.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/iw20030112a

IIRC, the earliest official announcement of 4E Essentials was January 28, 2010 at DDXP.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?271213-DDXP-2010-News-and-Updates

In this regard, I just can't take the words of a "repeat offender" that a "5.5e" will not be released in two years time.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
My rationale for a possible 2+ years delay in buying ANY 5E/Next books, is that the announcements for 3.5E and 4E Essentials happened around the one-and-a-half to two-and-a-half year mark after the initial release of the original respective 3E or 4E core books.

IIRC, the earliest unofficial announcement I could find for 3.5E was around December 2002 (can't find a link offhand), while the earliest official announcement was on January 12, 2003.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/iw20030112a

IIRC, the earliest official announcement of 4E Essentials was January 28, 2010 at DDXP.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?271213-DDXP-2010-News-and-Updates

In this regard, I just can't take the words of a "repeat offender" that a "5.5e" will not be released in two years time.

Hehe... this is basically what I did with 4E!

I had absolutely no interest in it, in large part because of all the edition warring that accompanied it, so stuck with 3.5E for more than a year after 4E's release until I came back here, was reading Piratecat's descriptions of the lighter DM workload, and then I became a fully certified 4ron! :)

Coming to the edition later had real benefits because a lot of the problems - principally the crappy monster design in MM1 - had been worked out, as had the reality that WotC's adventures sucked about as much as a black hole. It was a great time to get into 4E because the design team had finally grokked it.

I have no interest in 5E but, if I did, I would be waiting a year or so before getting into it. I think it could potentially save a lot of frustration.

That said, I'm still getting the adventures and continuing my DDi subscription even if it means paying a bit more for the 5E Dungeon and Dragon content (and assuming these will continue to exist).

Given their recent description of 5E as having "Living Rules", which would be maintained and updated as necessary, including, potentially stuff that would be so significant as to require a new PHB (though it sounds like they'd think twice before doing this, they clearly said that they were not ruling it out), this is probably not an unreasonable position! ;)

I doubt we'll see something quite as obvious as 3.5E or Essentials (to be fair, the latter was more of a different approach than different rules, but many rules had changed a bit by then), but I would be very unsurprised if 5E PHB or DMG from 2016 or 2017 was as different as the 3.5E PHB from the 3E one or the like.

Doesn't put me off, personally. I'm back on the fence lately, after being pretty keen to pre-order, but that's largely because of ill-advised and apparently wrong (according to current playtesters) statements from Mearls. The Living Rules thing actually pleases me as I've literally never experienced real difficulty dealing with errata in any edition of D&D (only Exalted and a few other complex-but-with-questionable-mechanics games have really troubled me there).

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I doubt we'll see something quite as obvious as 3.5E or Essentials (to be fair, the latter was more of a different approach than different rules, but many rules had changed a bit by then), but I would be very unsurprised if 5E PHB or DMG from 2016 or 2017 was as different as the 3.5E PHB from the 3E one or the like.

I wouldn't be surprised if, two years from now, there were "Expanded and Revised" versions of the core 3. They wouldn't be "necessary" replacements, but they'd have updated rules and things.

There will be fights about whether they count as 5.5 until the heat death of the universe.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads