• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you going to buy 5e?

Are you going to buy 5e?

• Yes, pre-ordered it

Votes: 135 48.6%
  • Yes, but haven't pre-ordered

Votes: 72 25.9%
  • No, but I might

Votes: 50 18.0%
  • No, it's not my kind of game

Votes: 21 7.6%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It would be interesting if EnWorld is mostly 5e discussion, and one of it's admins won't even buy the PHB for it.

I think the admins are professional enough that, if they didn't make a specific statement, you wouldn't know what games they liked or didn't like. It isn't like his game preferences impact his ability to technically administer a website, you know. "Oh, noes! He likes 2e! That means he won't be able to fix the database!!!1!"

The only thing "interesting" about it would be what people read into it. So, tell us, instead of being all vague and passive, what, exactly, would be interesting about it?

There will be fights about whether they count as 5.5 until the heat death of the universe.

Thaumaturge.

That should probably be carved in stone somewhere. I actually kind of pray that they do call some version of 5E 5.5E just to prevent that!

Then we'd probably still see threads like "BUT IS 5.5E REALLY 5.5E OR IS IT 6E IN A CUNNING HAT!?" or "5.75E MOAR LIEK" or "Feels more like 4.5E to me due to [introduction of mildly controversial thing which was totally not in 4E]!".

Argh. ;)

I never listen to anything he says, unless Rodney Thompson has also said the same thing.

That seems smart. Next time he is reported to have said something that alarms me, I will look for Rodney Thompson saying the same thing (and/or ask Cybit).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
I've preordered everything that's available through Amazon (Starter Set, Big 3 books, Two adventure books). What I'll probably end up doing is buying them through my local game store (Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica), but I like having them up for shipping in case there's a slip up somewhere locally.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It would be interesting if EnWorld is mostly 5e discussion, and one of it's admins won't even buy the PHB for it. Not that such a situation cannot work (I a sure it can), nor is it certainty that EW turns into a "mostly 5e discussion" board, but still I think it would be an interesting thing if it happened.

Thank you for editing your post to be more generous in your view. I like to think that ENWorld will continue to be a place to celebrate and discuss gaming, D&D of various editions, other kinds of games, media, story hours, art and so much more for many years to come. I promise that I will make every effort to continue to be even handed in both moderation and admin duties ;)

Cheers!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I had originally pre-ordered through Amazon, but upon learning that my friend's gaming store would carry it on release date (in recent years it has stocked very little in terms of RPGs), I canceled and placed an order with him. However, I'll be getting Tyranny of Dragons directly from the Kobold Store, in order to get the autographed edition.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think the admins are professional enough that, if they didn't make a specific statement, you wouldn't know what games they liked or didn't like. It isn't like his game preferences impact his ability to technically administer a website, you know. "Oh, noes! He likes 2e! That means he won't be able to fix the database!!!1!"

The only thing "interesting" about it would be what people read into it. So, tell us, instead of being all vague and passive, what, exactly, would be interesting about it?

I think people read a negative where one was not intended. People frequently accuse admin/mods, as a generalization, of bias in favor of WOTC. It would be handy to be able to say "Yeah well they're so not all on the same page in terms of game tastes that one of them doesn't even own a PHB of that game".

I really hate it when people assume some grand conspiracy behind the scenes of the mods/admins being against a particular game, or in favor of a particular game. Anything that can be used to demonstrate that is not the case, that there is no uniformity in tastes behind the scenes to fuel such claims, I find interesting.

Actually I think a mini bio for mods/admins listing games they enjoy might be mildly useful. Seeing that mods like both Pathfinder and 4e and 5e and 13th Age, or whatever, could help tone down those accusations - but probably not much.

Last edited:

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
I'll probably download the Basic Set at some point with the expectation that I'll get roped into a one-shot at some point, but no, I won't be buying. I just don't see anything that the game is notably good at doing. If I want a heavy roleplaying experience, I'll grab something like FATE, Microscope, or Dread. If I want heroic fantasy adventuring, Dungeon World in a landslide. If I want to bust out a battlemat and do some turn-based combat, I'll go with 4E, 13th Age, or a board/video game. While it looks to be an improvement over 3E, 5E still looks like a pretty middling system as a whole, and one that carts around a lot of legacy D&D baggage that I've never cared for.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I like Mike Mearls and crew, and I appreciate the effort they've put into making a D&D that is closer to what their audience has said they want, so, yes of course I'm buying at least the PHB. I want them to succeed. If i like what I see and have the ability to convince others, then I'll buy more.

I'm in a similar status. I'm going to check out the starter kit and the PH. If I like what I see, I'll buy more from there.

Emerikol

Adventurer
There decision to keep second wind in the game without any optional replacement basically made my decision for me. They don't care about my playstyle so I'll find another game that does. I'm tired of carrying Wotc's water. If you like it then buy it. If not then don't. Seems like capitalism at work. They've just burned up all the goodwill that 1e,2e produced after 4e so now they have to compete on level field and they aren't.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Even if I happened to like 5e (which I mostly don't), it's something of a nonstarter for me. My current gaming group which I like far more than I'll ever like any game have a visceral negative reaction to anything that contains the words Dungeons and Dragons, mostly due to a dislike of dungeon crawls. I'm currently trying to stop buying books I know I'll never use. I'm considering clever disguises for 4e in order to fool them into thinking it's not Dungeons and Dragons. <-- Obvious setup. Please - no need to go there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads