D&D General Are You Ready For A "New" D&D?

Are You Ready For A "New" D&D

• No, I am Happy With The Choices I Have

Votes: 71 55.5%
  • Yes, I Want a Truly "New" Version of D&D

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • It's Complicated...

Votes: 32 25.0%

I, Reynard, am personally ready for a new D&D to actually be new -- innovative, unexpected and different enough that I have to learn it fresh.
I'm down with that, but have been accused of being a neophiliac so there's that!
I realized as I was reading through the Kobold Press Black Flag playtest document, and thinking back on the 1D&D playtest docs as well as things like Level Up, that I am just sort of done with 5E.
Yeah. Like, I'm not "refuse to play" levels of done like I have been with a few RPGs (hello Rifts, Shadowrun), but whilst I like a lot of the little design ideas in both, for me, I want something that seems more, I dunno, 2020s.

D&D has had this issue with every edition except 4E (and arguably 1E but I would argue against), where, essentially, it lags 5-15 years behind where modern, intelligent, reflective, considered design in RPGs. I'll give 5E its due here - it was one of the less-laggy ones. Bounded accuracy and Advantage/Disadvantage worked out, and were modern, but a lot of other elements were retrograde because of the apology edition elements, and honestly so far 1D&D looks like it's a curious combination of one of the weaker elements of 4E (obsessive standardization - for example of subclass levels and spell preparation and lists), together with a lack of any real vision re: improvement. I'm sure it'll be "fine" but it's not going to really be any advancement on 5E, and I'm not sure it'll even hit the low bar of "clean up", just a different direction. Black Flag seems a little more advanced, but so far doesn't really seem like it's doing anything daring - I would like to see their class/subclass visions though. Anyway, I'd like to have seen a much bigger jump, one that more embraced how D&D seems to increasingly being played (i.e. more heroically), rather than just rearranging deck chairs.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No, 5e is by far my favourite version of D&D.

But I am bored with fantasy, going to experiment with some science fiction RPGs.
I recommend "Esper Genesis," for ~$25 on DriveThruRPG. I'm excited to try it out with @Steampunkette 's new kickstarter, "Paranormal Power." :)

No, I'm not.

I still prefer 3.5e and play it.

I've bought some 5e books to more-or-less stay up with current trends, and to support the game (effectively ending the boycott I began when 4e came out).

If, big if, I wanted a new D&D, I'd make something homebrew combining the best elements of 5e and 3.5e, and I don't really think WotC's design goals for a new edition would align with mine.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's complicated. On the one hand, I'm perfectly content with the myriad of choices already available to play D&D type games. On the other hand, I also like novelty, so I'm generally more interested in seeing some truly new rather than a slight polishing of something existing. On the third hand, I like the core 5e chassis enough that I don't want to see a ton of 3pp support fracture between supporting 5e and whatever this truly new version would be.

Please define "advancement" in this context. Is chocolate an "advancement" over vanilla?
As I use it?

Looking at what works and what doesn't, learning from changes and additions to the TTRPG design sphere, and designing towards a goal in a conscious and considered way, that gets closer to that goal than previously. 2E I think could honestly be seen as at least intended to be an "advancement" on 1E, for example. Or 5.5 on 5. Or indeed most edition changes for non-D&D RPGs.

Like, some bits of 5E just don't work very well, mechanically - the three pillars is a great example - because they're seeming an important concept, but 5E isn't really designed in a way that supports that concept. So if we say that is a design goal that we want to achieve, still, which is reasonable, we'd expect 1D&D to make a conscious effort to make those pillars a bit more prominent in design, and to redesign classes, abilities, spells, etc. to allow people to engage with those three pillars more.

But so far there's curiously no evidence of that.

Instead what we're getting are say, "chocolate vs. strawberry" changes (avoiding vanilla because it has additional connotations re: simplicity, and I don't think you intended those - correct me if I'm wrong). Like the spell preparation change is just chocolate fudge instead of strawberry-chocolate swirl. It's not an advancement, AFAICT, because it doesn't advance D&D towards some kind of acknowledge or "obvious" (sorry to use such a term, I'm struggling for the right word) design goal, it just changes stuff around.

Aldarc

Legend
I am. But I won't be getting it from "One D&D."
I’m completely over 5E and WotC. I don’t care what they do going forward.

For D&D-like games there are dozens of great options by less problematic companies. My top choices are Old-School Essentials for a retro-clone experience and Dungeon Crawl Classics for a pulp-fantasy experience.

And there is a whole universe of other games out there to play.

So WotC has nothing I’m interested in going forward.
This is kinda where I am. 5e D&D feels a bit stale for me at this point. Even with a facelift, One D&D and Project Black Flag look as if they will be more of the same. That's great for people who like 5e D&D as it is and can keep playing it for the rest of their lives; however, that does not spark much joy or enthusiasm from people like me. Neither of them seem different enough for me to care. Maybe there will be a future 5e clone(-adjacent) that sparks joy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Like the spell preparation change is just chocolate fudge instead of strawberry-chocolate swirl. It's not an advancement, AFAICT, because it doesn't advance D&D towards some kind of acknowledge or "obvious" (sorry to use such a term, I'm struggling for the right word) design goal, it just changes stuff around.
Actually, I'd say that is quite the opposite example in the OneD&D test: Crawford has laid out the reasoning there, and it is to advance the design goal of not punishing players for build choices. And making decisions players make non-punative is definitely a design goal.

Remove ads