D&D 5E Are you using 3d6 apply as rolled and if so can you share your experience?

clearstream

(He, Him)
I'm kind of expecting no responses! However, as it is my intention to use this method for my next campaign, which will likely run two years, I am interested in listening to any experiences you may have.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Do you mean that you roll 3d6 and assign to attributes (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) in the exact order it was rolled?

G

Guest 6801328

Do you mean that you roll 3d6 and assign to attributes (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) in the exact order it was rolled?

I assume so.

There's two issues here, right? The order in which they are rolled, and their magnitude.

In terms of order, we just started a campaign that was 4d6-1, and each player was given the option of assigning them in order in exchange for some other benefits during chargen. 3/5 chose to roll the dice (as it were), and we ended up with a Dwarf fighter with good Str and Con but otherwise pretty low stats, a decent ranger, and a pretty sick cleric (I think 2 16's and one 18, by the time bonuses got added in.)

Although I didn't choose that option, I sort of wish I had. It added an element of fun that I missed out on.

In terms of magnitude, my concern with straight 3d6 would only be that over the last 40 years most of us have gotten used to baseline ability scores that average significantly higher than that, so your players might just feel like they have "bad" characters and not be as vested in the game. But if everybody is on totally on board with it (and not just agreeing to it because the DM is pushing it) I would think it should work out just fine.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am not currently using it with 5e.

I have used it in the past. The dice are pretty swingy - they tend to create characters whose stats are lackluster in comparison to, say, 4d6, drop lowest. This means, characters will tend to die more, unless you are generous with allowing player sto re-roll sets of stats. You can combat this by scalling the challenges to the PCs abilities, but why downplay the PCs, only to then also downplay the challenges? What's the point?

Also, the in-order part means that the player really only gets to choose class, in the sense that they choose the class the character will suck least in. They don't generally get to pick what they wanted to play, or what the party needed. It is pretty easy to end up with a party that doesn't have effective healing, or effective melee combat.

If you are okay with that - if a high turnover rate and a party that may not have all the bases covered are part of your intent for the game, then this works well. Over time, there is some tendency for characters with bad stats to die off, while those with good ones survive (at least, in cases where the whole party doesn't get killed because of a deficiency in the group). If you are looking for a little more competence and continuity from the start, you might want a different way to roll stats.

A good question might be - what are you hoping to get out of using 3d6, in order? What is your goal for that choice?

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I haven't done that for D&D 5e. I did 4d6 drop one, assign as you please. But what I did do is require that the players choose their race and class prior to rolling, which I think is kind of weird, but that is the order in the rules. I wanted to see what kinds of outcomes those rules produced. And really it wasn't that big a deal. There were a couple of characters that had some terrible scores or exceedingly average ones and the players just used that as an opportunity to portray them in a comical way. I did this for a run of Sunless Citadel (TftYP).

So I guess my takeaway from that experience as it relates to your idea is that if they have to choose their race and class first, it might suck for some people. But if you let them do that after they roll, then it's probably fine since they can mitigate bad results somewhat.

Out of curiosity, is there anything specifically about the concept of your game that has you wanting to do this? Does it tie into the campaign's theme somehow?

I recently decided to roll up a character for Basic D&D using 3d6 in order. I ended up with a Dwarf. My strength was a 14, but I had a dexterity penalty and an intelligence so low that I was illiterate. It might have been fun to actually play this character, but the thing about fielding such an…interesting PC, was whether or not the rest of the group would be on-board with it. Because in my experience, there’s always someone that shows up with that 18 and no stats under 12 that they “rolled.”

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just did a one off a couple days ago after years of not doing this, so funny coincidence!

My rolls:

I ordered them in the old (right) way: S, I, W, D, C, CH ;)

I've had low scores in the past, and they are often pretty fun because they inspire you to roleplay a bit differently than everyone does with the same basic set of stats for every PC. In my case, I played a human fighter with a bad temper and would often try to just Leroy Jenkins into encounters. That 5 WIS led to....many poor decisions lol. Like tasting every potion that came along before doing any research, and essentially volunteering to be the party guinea pig. Or blowing all of my treasure on bad purchases.

It all worked out though., Failed a saving throw (as expected) and became the thrall of a wizard. But it was interesting while it lasted!

Oofta

Legend
I haven't done this for a long time, but when we did some of the characters generated were decent or even good while others were virtually unplayable.

That might be fun for some people I guess.

Remove ads