• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor & Coins - please, No.

Jack99

Adventurer
ehren37 said:
I'm glad for fantasy armor. You know... because there are these things called dwarves and elves that have been making it for far longer than it was made on earth, so you'd expect some kind of difference in what was available compared to midieval europe.

And people complain about the lack of verisimilitude... sheesh.

Spot on, mate.

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
So we have:

Astral Diamond - tears of the gods

Astral Ruby - blood of the gods

Astral Onyx - bile of the gods

Any takers of sapphire, amethyst, lapus lazuli, or amber? :)

Mr Jack

First Post
Woas said:
What is medium armor anyways, ya know?

I'm quite pleased to see medium armour gone; it never had a comfrtable niche anyhow.

And intelligence to your AC? Whaaa? Are people dodging swords with their mind now?

Makes sense to me; quick wits rather than quick hands. Judging your opponents attack pattern; thinking through your defense; not doing anything stupid.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Since it looks like they got ride of Armor Check Penalty for 4E, there's no mechanical benefit to having the old 3E version of "masterwork" in the game. So the term has been given a new meaning, related to magical armor. Doesn't mean that ridiculously expensive and well-made mundane armor doesn't exist, it just a cosmetic thing now, not a game benefit.

Hey, in Guild Wars, I've spent tens of thousands of gold on prestige armor that's identical mechanically to regular armor (that was for you, Hong ;) )

I agree there's no real benefit to having specific suit-up times for different armors. Complex isn't always better.

Medium armor was always a weird category - for low level characters it was simply the best armor they could afford, higher level it was the armor you had made of special materials to move it into Light category anyway.

Astral diamonds. Hmmm... I guess the designers are using them as a way to reinforce the idea that the planes aren't that far away for capable adventurers. And at 10kgp apiece, they're still the currency of kings, great heroes, and powerful extra-planar beings. Not neccessarily "universal".

Azgulor

Adventurer
ehren37 said:
Medium armor... thats the mithril full plate category right? Cus I sure as hell cant remember anyone in my game ever being dumb enough to actually don the rest of that stuff past level 2.

I'm glad for fantasy armor. You know... because there are these things called dwarves and elves that have been making it for far longer than it was made on earth, so you'd expect some kind of difference in what was available compared to midieval europe.

And people complain about the lack of verisimilitude... sheesh.

Well, I'll let the "dumb enough" comment pass. I've seen medium armors as often as light and heavy armors. They also didn't get rid of medium armors, just seem to classify them as heavy.

As to fantasy armor, that's fine. But whereas 3.x was more of a toolkit, 4e appears to be shaping up to be less of one with a more ingrained setting. When I see Ebony and Glass (magical substances) in Elder Scrolls game, I accept it as part of the setting. It's just a little harder to swallow in a core rulebook. That's probably MY issue, since 4e is built with Epic-level play in mind as part of the core. Plane-jumping adventures and such are assumed under 4e. As I said, to each their own.

The names are still dorky, though. :D

Sir Brennen

Legend
Saishu_Heiki said:
Any takers of sapphire, amethyst, lapus lazuli, or amber? :)
Well, Astral Amber's easy, since real amber has a biological basis. However, "Tree Sap of the Gods" may not have the most epic ring to it...

Mallus

Legend
hong said:
Astral pearls, their

No, let's not go there.
"The Pearl Necklace of the Gods" is so going to be the treasure in next week's adventure. The PC's have bargained with the Demon Lord of Sexual Euphemisms for a tour of the Graveyard of the Elder Gods, so it's perfectly (in)appropriate.

Thanks!

johan_seraphim

First Post
Emirikol said:
I see dragon scale mail is worn by dragonborne. That's like human-skin-leather being worn by humans.

I noticed that the CONAN MMO coming up has variants for it's armor types:
Better cloth
Better leather
Better metal chain
Better metal plate

I like that idea. If it's non-magical all the better. We gotta get back to some "not-so-magic-crutch" for themes :)

jh

I totally agree, we need to get away from mindset of "I Need Magical Armor, etc. to survive"

Azgulor

Adventurer
Jack99 said:
Yeah, those two possibilities are definitely the only two possible.

So whenever you speculate you list every conceivable possibility in every post? Wow, you must have some serious free time on your hands.

Thanks for the troll, though. Have a cookie.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Saitou said:
But don't let me stop you from vehemently hating 4E for no reason!
Your post was fine until you got to the insult. Discuss the topic, please, without personal jabs.

Azgulor, that particularly goes for you as well. I don't care whether you love 4e or hate it, but you'll be respectful to the other posters if you want to post on EN World.

Everyone else, please remember: just because you disagree with someone, you don't need to come across as a jerk. Thank you to everyone who works hard not to make disagreements personal. It's very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads