D&D 5E Art direction and 5th edition

Crazy Jerome

First Post
One day styles will come around again, and we will get a version of D&D done with French impressionist artists. I hope the mechanics are good, because after that version, I may never switch again. If I live long enough to see it, which is probably unlikely. :D

If I never see another Wayne Reynolds or William O'Conner piece or anyone copying them, it won't be too soon. It's like that style used on the Robert Jordan fantasy novel covers--so common that I have to consciously avoid skipping over a book when I see it. Now I know how fans of romance novels felt about seeing the same cover repeatedly. :p

Last edited:

Niccodaemus

First Post
One day styles will come around again, and we will get a version of D&D down with French impressionist artists. I hope the mechanics are good, because after that version, I may never switch again. If I live long enough to see it, which is probably unlikely. :D

If I never see another Wayne Reynolds or William O'Conner piece or anyone copying them, it won't be too soon. It's like that style used on the Robert Jordan fantasy novel covers--so common that I have to consciously avoid skipping over a book when I see it. Now I know how fans of romance novels felt about seeing the same cover repeatedly. :p

You might enjoy some of the artwork on my blog for my campaign setting.

Shatterworld

JeffB

Legend
I'm really sick of steroid popping monsters, and disproportionate features even for a fantasy monsters- you know stuff like Krusk with his feet that are several times larger than this head. The PF bugbear is another major offender in the opposite way. Reminds me of the LOEG's Mr. Hyde. Of course those are just two example of hundreds of PF/3e/4E illustrations.There is nothing creepy &/or fantastical about creatures with a workout regimen.

The guy who did so much 4E art where everyone apparently has a cold, and blew their noses too much...?? He's gotta go.

Stormonu

Legend
I wasn't much of a fan of Lockwood's style, and not really much for WAR's style either. I'd rather go back to the art of Dee, Williamson, Elmore and Ken Frank.

Mercurius

Legend
Art styles shift over time, but I'm guessing that we're never going back to that which makes the average 35+ year old gamer nostalgiac--whether the Elmore/Easley/Parkinson/Caldwell days, or the period before with Dee/Otus/Sutherland/Roslof/etc. Ain't gonna happen, folks. I can't say that I mind, really, although I suppose I prefer both phases to some of the recent stuff.

I remember when 3E came out tons of folks complained about Todd Lockwood's "soul-less," technical style. The two big 4E artists--Reynolds and O'Connor--have brought a more stylized, comic-book style (for better or worse). Of course the problem is that as skilled as Reynolds is, there is a kind of shallowness to his art--it doesn't convey a mood of magic and mystery like, say, John Howe does; it is more like "cool, look at that dragon!" But I suppose that is appropriate for an RPG.

I agree with Niccodaemus in that I'd love to see something like John Howe set the tone for 5E, but I don't see that happening--it is too mature, too artsy, and not "video gamey" enough for the younger crowd that WotC is likely to try to attract.

I also agree with RangerWickett that the art of Magic is generally more impressive, more artistic and atmospheric, but I can't tell if that is because it is small and you can't really see the details that well.

masshysteria

Explorer
I'd like to see 5th editions art direction take a more realistic proportions and detailed image approach.

The Wayne Reynold/William O'Connor feel of 4th edition is fine. But it seems a bit too cartoon-y.

I'd like to see the likes of Tyler Jacobson (I love his Shadowfell work: Tyler Jacobson: Bramble Queen and Gloomwrought) and Eva Wildermann. Or any of the artists used to create the iconic planeswalkers for Magic the Gathering (Magic 2012 : Products : Trading Card Game : Magic: The Gathering)

avin

First Post
Art edition is a very important part of D&D books, even if you don't care about that much, it helps set the tone of each edition.

A step into a more realistic direction would please me.

Remove ads