• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Art in 5e...?

Blackbrrd

First Post
If I find time tonight, I might try Photoshopping the wizard into a male elf and see what it looks like.
There are barely any signs she's a female, so it's probably pretty easy for somebody good at drawing. Some hints of boobs, a skirt and the hairstyle. I really can't see what's so sexualized about the drawing.

Dausuul

Legend
There are barely any signs she's a female, so it's probably pretty easy for somebody good at drawing. Some hints of boobs, a skirt and the hairstyle. I really can't see what's so sexualized about the drawing.
I was planning to simply remove all secondary sexual characteristics: Replace the breasts with a flat chest and reduce the curve of the butt/thighs a bit. Everything else, including hairstyle and clothing, would stay the same. (Clothing is usually included in the Hawkeye test, so the skirt doesn't go anywhere.)

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
(Clothing is usually included in the Hawkeye test, so the skirt doesn't go anywhere.)

Eh, Hawkeye wears a kilt.

hawkeye kilt.jpg

Thaumaturge.

I don't think that's fair at all.

Whilst I think this image is boring rather than sexist (the problem is that it's a dull comic-book cliche, for me), it's not right to start calling people "extremists" just because they think it is. If you honestly think they are, then frankly, you've obviously never seen genuine extremist views on this subject.

There are degrees of extremism.

Believe me, I spent more than enough time in academia to see the really extreme end of all that.

The mind just boggles on how someone can look at a picture where one of the major sources of light is emerging from right next to the breasts and say with a straight face "Nope. Not sexualized at all. Not calling attention to secondary sexual characteristics or the attractiveness of the character even a little. Her appearance is definitely not considered a thing of value and attention in that image."

Would you say the same thing if a male barbarian character's muscles were highlighted?

The mind just boggles on how someone can look at a picture where one of the major sources of light is emerging from right next to the breasts and say with a straight face "Nope. Not sexualized at all. Not calling attention to secondary sexual characteristics or the attractiveness of the character even a little. Her appearance is definitely not considered a thing of value and attention in that image."

Let's go at this from another angle. Just for the sake of argument, let's say that you're right, and it is a highly sexualized image. So what? It's not like we are looking at pictures of female CEOs and politicians in mini-skirts. It's idealized fantasy art set in a world where male barbarians may not be wearing anything other than loincloths, either.

Dausuul

Legend
Okay, I don't claim to be a Photoshop expert, and I'm not a professional artist by any stretch. Still, I can use the rubber stamp tool. Here's a very rough cut at gender-switching the wizard on the PHB cover.

Specific changes that I made:

• Removed the breasts.
  • Narrowed the thighs.
  • Added sideburns.

5E Player's Handbook Hawkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick McGill

First Post
Awesome job Dausuul. The glowing light doesn't look out of place to me at all. I don't believe the point of it was to accentuate the (quite covered) breast area.

Remove ads