• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Art in 5e...?

I like the art, but not the cover layout and fonts. No big deal, but I'd have preferred a format more like 3e or even (original recipe) 2e. This seems a bit more like the boring red on black late 2e.

Obryn

Hero
In the other thread, someone pointed out that there's an active, non sexualized female adventurer on the cover of the PHB. Good on WotC.

I like the art, but not the cover layout and fonts. No big deal, but I'd have preferred a format more like 3e or even (original recipe) 2e. This seems a bit more like the boring red on black late 2e.

This was what I was going to say. I like the look of the box set and adventures, but they layout for the core rulebooks just looks ... wrong.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I like the layout and fonts but am not thrilled by the art. There are too many modern fantasy art tropes here that I'm not into.

All over the top action, no treasure, exploration, mystery or suspense
All monsters have their mouths open at all times
Adventurer fighting a 100 ton dragon on the cover of the STARTER set
Undead = purple smoke (so scare)
nonsensical armor and weapons

This is all perfectly safe and predictable right down the middle modern action fantasy art. Crazy and loud yet boring. I wanted to see something a LITTLE bit different.

I like the Starter Set cover best, I think because it's the simplest.

I like how the spines look.

Derren

Hero
All over the top action, no treasure, exploration, mystery or suspense
All monsters have their mouths open at all times
Adventurer fighting a 100 ton dragon on the cover of the STARTER set
Undead = purple smoke (so scare)
nonsensical armor and weapons

I agree with all of that. Over the top action right from the start.
And maybe I have read too many comics lately, but that undead from the DMG looks like Galactus.

I also find the coloring strange.
And whats with "the worlds greatest roleplaying game"? Is that their new catchphrase for the edition? Who does WotC think they will impress with that boast?

Last edited:

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I'm not sold on the design. Nothing screams "D&D!" to me. I think that's probably because the name of the game is so de-emphasized.

I would have preferred a more character-centric illustration for the PHB; nothing like the 4e "Action Pose" but perhaps a band of adventurers, stealthily making their way through a trap filled dungeon. The cover they chose almost looks like a Monster Manual cover.

Actually, they all look like Monster Manual covers, which lends credence to my suspicion that the constant controversy over the depiction of every humanoid figure, no matter how benign, has led them to de-emphasize character focused illustration. Whether that suspicion is confirmed will have to wait on seeing the interior art.

The dragon on the Starter Set should be red. It's tradition.

Strangely, while I don't like the layout for the core rulebooks, I really love how it lays out for the adventure modules. Strange. Maybe it's because monster focused works for adventure modules.

I really hope we get some non digitally enhanced illustration. Oh, and some black and white art. Please.

And a few comic illustrations wouldn't go amiss either.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I absolutely love the new art style fonts and all. Harkens back to the old days while keeping a modern and fresh look. I applaud the art team.

Remove ads