D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do note the question of morality in art isn't necessarily political: I know several of the other folks speaking to the problems with objectifying art have fundamentally different political viewpoints from myself.

Personally, I find the ugliness that snuck into some older editions art very frustrating, because it often ruined otherwise good pieces and acted as a severe barrier to entry into the hobby.

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Adventurer
It is not an unimportant consideration: many women I know personally had been alienated from the game by creepy art. It harms the community, which harms the game.

Many women I know personally were not alienated. Many people I know were alienated by “occult imagery”. By your own metric that harms the community which harms the game.

You are as unlikely to sway me here as I am you.

We both would have selected different pieces had we been in the position to, of that I am sure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Many women I know personally were not alienated. Many people I know were alienated by “occult imagery”. By your own metric that harms the community which harms the game.

You are as unlikely to sway me here as I am you.

We both would have selected different pieces had we been in the position to, of that I am sure.

Sure, some people won't be turned off by creepy art, but it is notable that the gender make-up of the D&D community was deeply unbalanced until WotC introduced a new, non-objectifying standard into their art.

Hussar

Legend
Sure, some people won't be turned off by creepy art, but it is notable that the gender make-up of the D&D community was deeply unbalanced until WotC introduced a new, non-objectifying standard into their art.

And this, right there, is pretty much the end of the argument AFAIC. Sure, some people don't mind cheesecake art. Fine. I mean, Vajello is popular to this day. Let's be honest here.

But, in a game that is meant to appeal to everyone, and not just young, white men, which is what Caldwell was drawing for, perhaps avoiding the whole thing altogether might not be a bad idea. And, if you don't think Caldwell was drawing for young, white men, I'll point you to this piece:

Sea%2BFox%2Bby%2BClyde%2BCaldwell.jpg

Which, btw, adorns the cover of my Pirates D20 book by Living Imagination. Sure, it's 3pp, but, it's not like Caldwell hadn't done other pieces just as blatant.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are a few situational exceptions, but as a general rule, he isn't wrong. WotC is afraid of sex appeal.
People are welcome to put as much sex appeal in their fanart as they want.

Clearly the game hasn’t suffered for lack of sexual objectification.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, it's been a long time since I actually went back into my 5e PHB and looked at the art. There's a LOT of pretty good art there, but, it does seem rather washed out, compared to other books I've seen. Which is a shame, I think, since there are a lot of fantastic pieces there.

I think it's not terribly fair to say that 5e art is "good but not great". There's a LOT of art there, and Sturgeon's law generally applies. Thing is, a lot of the art in the 5e books is sort of inset against a lot of text, so, it's just kind of there. It doesn't pop out like the art plates did in other books.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
And this, right there, is pretty much the end of the argument AFAIC. Sure, some people don't mind cheesecake art. Fine. I mean, Vajello is popular to this day. Let's be honest here.

But, in a game that is meant to appeal to everyone, and not just young, white men, which is what Caldwell was drawing for, perhaps avoiding the whole thing altogether might not be a bad idea. And, if you don't think Caldwell was drawing for young, white men, I'll point you to this piece:

Sea%2BFox%2Bby%2BClyde%2BCaldwell.jpg

Which, btw, adorns the cover of my Pirates D20 book by Living Imagination. Sure, it's 3pp, but, it's not like Caldwell hadn't done other pieces just as blatant.

I like his style. Not this piece. He did the original covers for the icewind dale trilogy. That is more my speed. Adventurers should be dressed for the occasion. I can’t think of an occasion to wear a getup like that. Unless it’s wash day and she didn’t have anything clean.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
This seems to me to be more of a strike against the Art Director than the Artist who simply submits pieces that adhere to what is asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads