D&D General Art that exemplifies D&D to you.

drag01.jpg
duel.jpg
wizard.jpg

These are the images that brings D&D to my mind. A lot of other have already been put by previous posters. But yep. These are good.

Easley's undead are the absolutely best.

For me? It's the works of Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore. Nobody else has come close.

I also love that cover. It's a little scary and a lot weird. Perfect for encapsulating the planes in a single scene.

I've always loved the 1e Manual of the Planes cover, gives a really good "Oh good god what have we gotten ourselves into" vibe that I really like, plus it just looks cool as all get out.
latest

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There are some greats in this thread, absolutely. I'm going to go with the long footer piece from the 1e DMG. It tells a story, evoking the escalating threats, from kobolds to trolls to giants to devils. It's got magic, weapons, treasure, and it shows a whole party of adventurers.

gasp

With all the times I've seen this, I never put together in my head that it's a continuing story.

Wow.

QuestWise

Villager
Oh! Also the art of the animated Hobbit and The Last Unicorn, which were both done by Topcraft. Something about that highly-stylized dark fantasy art really does it for me.
View attachment 120591

(Again, not the feel I actually get from D&D, but the sort of idealized form of how I endeavor to make my D&D games feel.)
For something with more of this feel, you may enjoy the Hero's Journey 2nd edition by Barrel Rider Games!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One very unexpected place I found some great D&D art was in a 4e pre-release guide called "Worlds and Monsters". Not sure how many of these are still out there, and I'm hangin' on to mine, but if you ever find one it's worth a look. :)
I remember finding one of those in Barnes and Noble dying the run-up to 4e, and being finally inspired to come back to D&D after a fairly long absence. Very cool little booklets.

Remove ads